bowling-forum.net
The bowlers choice for bowling chat.

Main
Date: 11 Feb 2005 00:30:57
From: Jamie
Subject: what would you do?
Last season I had my own team and this year 3 of my old members moved away
and 1 I have no clue where he is. Anyway another team asked if I wanted to
bowl with them. Wasn't super thrilled about the team members but I said ok
anyway. At the time I could only bowl at the 9 oclock because of my job.
halfway into the season we get signed up for city tournament which was paid
for with stick money contributed by the whole team (3 guys really but I
digress) anyway I told them I couldn't bowl the weekend of the 24th because
its my 2 year anniversary and thats more important in my opinion. they said
ok we'll see what we can do.

Tonight I found out the captain signed us up specifically for that weeknd
and when I said I couldn't bowl that weekend he said I know I already have a
sub I guess you just don't get to bowl in the city tournament. now its to
late to get on a team, its to late to even get signed up for singles and
doubles. DO i say screw you and quit and make him find somebody for the
rest of the season? or do I just suck it up and count it to experience and
cut my losses short because at the end of the season were already looking to
get 100.00 plus each back? Or should i take it up with the local bowling
association?

any thoughts would be appreciated and before anybody suggests it Im not
changing my plans to spend the weekend out of town with my wife.

thanks
Jamie






 
Date: 25 Feb 2005 09:47:15
From: Skipper
Subject: Re: what would you do?
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:30:57 -0500, "Jamie"
<marinofan1979@(nospam)charter.net > wrote:

>Last season I had my own team and this year 3 of my old members moved away
>and 1 I have no clue where he is. Anyway another team asked if I wanted to
>bowl with them. Wasn't super thrilled about the team members but I said ok
>anyway. At the time I could only bowl at the 9 oclock because of my job.
>halfway into the season we get signed up for city tournament which was paid
>for with stick money contributed by the whole team (3 guys really but I
>digress) anyway I told them I couldn't bowl the weekend of the 24th because
>its my 2 year anniversary and thats more important in my opinion. they said
>ok we'll see what we can do.
>
>Tonight I found out the captain signed us up specifically for that weeknd
>and when I said I couldn't bowl that weekend he said I know I already have a
>sub I guess you just don't get to bowl in the city tournament. now its to
>late to get on a team, its to late to even get signed up for singles and
>doubles. DO i say screw you and quit and make him find somebody for the
>rest of the season? or do I just suck it up and count it to experience and
>cut my losses short because at the end of the season were already looking to
>get 100.00 plus each back? Or should i take it up with the local bowling
>association?
>
>any thoughts would be appreciated and before anybody suggests it Im not
>changing my plans to spend the weekend out of town with my wife.
>
>thanks
>Jamie
>

You're making a mountain of a molehill. Let go of it.

If you really want to hang on to your attitude, then go ahead and
quit the team.

Next time, if you want to be in a tournament, be responsible for
signing yourself up and paying for yourself.


 
Date: 10 Feb 2005 23:39:05
From: twobirds
Subject: Re: what would you do?
Jamie wrote:
> Last season I had my own team and this year 3 of my old members moved
> away and 1 I have no clue where he is. Anyway another team asked if I
> wanted to bowl with them. Wasn't super thrilled about the team
> members but I said ok anyway. At the time I could only bowl at the 9
> oclock because of my job. halfway into the season we get signed up
> for city tournament which was paid for with stick money contributed
> by the whole team (3 guys really but I digress) anyway I told them I
> couldn't bowl the weekend of the 24th because its my 2 year
> anniversary and thats more important in my opinion. they said ok
> we'll see what we can do.
>
> Tonight I found out the captain signed us up specifically for that
> weeknd and when I said I couldn't bowl that weekend he said I know I
> already have a sub I guess you just don't get to bowl in the city
> tournament. now its to late to get on a team, its to late to even get
> signed up for singles and doubles. DO i say screw you and quit and
> make him find somebody for the rest of the season? or do I just suck
> it up and count it to experience and cut my losses short because at
> the end of the season were already looking to get 100.00 plus each
> back? Or should i take it up with the local bowling association?
>

Do you enjoy bowling? Is the pleasure you get from the sport worth the
monitary expense without whatever gains you might get from this particular
tournament? What exactly is your investment here? I don't think I quite
get it.

Personally, I'd bowl.





  
Date: 11 Feb 2005 07:14:27
From: Jamie
Subject: Re: what would you do?
> Do you enjoy bowling? Is the pleasure you get from the sport worth the
> monitary expense without whatever gains you might get from this particular
> tournament? What exactly is your investment here? I don't think I quite
> get it.
>
> Personally, I'd bowl.
>
>
>

I still enjoy bowling and I have a good time as long as I ignore my captain.
LOL

the investment was the Stick money that we all had paid into to cover our
bowling tournament. The way Im bowling right now I don't think it really
matters I would have won the same amount Im going to end up with anyway. LOL

It was really irritating though the way he did it.

Jamie




   
Date: 11 Feb 2005 12:11:12
From: Darby
Subject: Re: what would you do?

"Jamie" <marinofan1979@(nospam)charter.net > wrote
>> Do you enjoy bowling? Is the pleasure you get from the sport worth the
>> monitary expense without whatever gains you might get from this
>> particular
>> tournament? What exactly is your investment here? I don't think I quite
>> get it.
>>
>> Personally, I'd bowl.
>>
>>
>>
>
> I still enjoy bowling and I have a good time as long as I ignore my
> captain. LOL

It would have been better if he would have had the sub pay his way in to
take your place. It's possible that you irk your captain as much as he
bothers you. My husband had a boss he didn't like much, for no good
reason....just personality conflict. Then he found out that he bugged the
boss as at least as much. That tickled him and they got along fine after
that.
Dar
>
> the investment was the Stick money that we all had paid into to cover our
> bowling tournament. The way Im bowling right now I don't think it really
> matters I would have won the same amount Im going to end up with anyway.
> LOL
>
> It was really irritating though the way he did it.
>
> Jamie




    
Date: 11 Feb 2005 13:24:20
From: Jamie
Subject: Re: what would you do?
Me irritate somebody? that CAN'T be the reason. ;)

Jamie
"Darby" <darlene@caves.net > wrote in message
news:110pt9pakgvb75@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Jamie" <marinofan1979@(nospam)charter.net> wrote
>>> Do you enjoy bowling? Is the pleasure you get from the sport worth the
>>> monitary expense without whatever gains you might get from this
>>> particular
>>> tournament? What exactly is your investment here? I don't think I
>>> quite
>>> get it.
>>>
>>> Personally, I'd bowl.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> I still enjoy bowling and I have a good time as long as I ignore my
>> captain. LOL
>
> It would have been better if he would have had the sub pay his way in to
> take your place. It's possible that you irk your captain as much as he
> bothers you. My husband had a boss he didn't like much, for no good
> reason....just personality conflict. Then he found out that he bugged the
> boss as at least as much. That tickled him and they got along fine after
> that.
> Dar
> >
>> the investment was the Stick money that we all had paid into to cover our
>> bowling tournament. The way Im bowling right now I don't think it really
>> matters I would have won the same amount Im going to end up with anyway.
>> LOL
>>
>> It was really irritating though the way he did it.
>>
>> Jamie
>
>




   
Date: 11 Feb 2005 08:24:49
From: Al Whiteman
Subject: Re: what would you do?
Integrity plays a huge role here. The sub your captain found, if he is not
a regular 6th man on the team, should pay you for your share of the entry.
It was not a situation where the team had to find a sub at the last minute.
The team knew you could not bowl on a specific date, but chose to schedule
the event at that time anyway. Why not suggest to the others that the
replacement has not contributed to the entry fee pot, and you have. I
certainly would not quit the team, nor snub the captain regardless.
Al

"Jamie" <marinofan1979@(nospam)charter.net > wrote in message
news:Jp1Pd.58772$pD2.29974@fe07.lga...
>> Do you enjoy bowling? Is the pleasure you get from the sport worth the
>> monitary expense without whatever gains you might get from this
>> particular
>> tournament? What exactly is your investment here? I don't think I quite
>> get it.
>>
>> Personally, I'd bowl.
>>
>>
>>
>
> I still enjoy bowling and I have a good time as long as I ignore my
> captain. LOL
>
> the investment was the Stick money that we all had paid into to cover our
> bowling tournament. The way Im bowling right now I don't think it really
> matters I would have won the same amount Im going to end up with anyway.
> LOL
>
> It was really irritating though the way he did it.
>
> Jamie
>




  
Date: 10 Feb 2005 23:50:00
From: twobirds
Subject: Re: what would you do? - clarification
twobirds wrote:

>
> Personally, I'd bowl.

Clarification just in case that isn't read the way I meant it: I would take
the weekend with the wife... but I wouldn't quit and miss the rest of a
perfectly good season.




 
Date: 11 Feb 2005 00:30:41
From: Darby
Subject: Re: what would you do?
It would have been nice if the team captain had told you of the arrangements
he had made in time for you to make other plans. However, he was right to
find someone else when you said you couldn't bowl on that date. BTW......A
big "ATTA BOY" for insisting on celebrating your anniversary with your wife!
You can let people, like the association secretary, the people at the
desk at the lanes, and other people in your league, know you are interested
in subbing if a bowler can't make it on days you are available. Otherwise
just figure you learned something and continue as a good team member until
the season is over. Raising a fuss would just alienate others, you never
know who you may be bowling with in 10 years. :)
Dar

"Jamie" <marinofan1979@(nospam)charter.net > wrote$716.28063@fe07.lga...
> Last season I had my own team and this year 3 of my old members moved away
> and 1 I have no clue where he is. Anyway another team asked if I wanted to
> bowl with them. Wasn't super thrilled about the team members but I said ok
> anyway. At the time I could only bowl at the 9 oclock because of my job.
> halfway into the season we get signed up for city tournament which was
> paid for with stick money contributed by the whole team (3 guys really but
> I digress) anyway I told them I couldn't bowl the weekend of the 24th
> because its my 2 year anniversary and thats more important in my opinion.
> they said ok we'll see what we can do.
>
> Tonight I found out the captain signed us up specifically for that weeknd
> and when I said I couldn't bowl that weekend he said I know I already have
> a sub I guess you just don't get to bowl in the city tournament. now its
> to late to get on a team, its to late to even get signed up for singles
> and doubles. DO i say screw you and quit and make him find somebody for
> the rest of the season? or do I just suck it up and count it to experience
> and cut my losses short because at the end of the season were already
> looking to get 100.00 plus each back? Or should i take it up with the
> local bowling association?
>
> any thoughts would be appreciated and before anybody suggests it Im not
> changing my plans to spend the weekend out of town with my wife.
>
> thanks
> Jamie
>