bowling-forum.net
The bowlers choice for bowling chat.

Main
Date: 28 Dec 2008 13:21:48
From:
Subject: heavy oil
I have a tough time putting strikes together when there is heavy oil
in the middle and dry on the outside of the lanes. I have to aim for
the 1st arrow and and let the ball break all the way across to the
head pin. I prefer to play the middle. any adsvise ?




 
Date: 30 Dec 2008 07:00:17
From: GenPounder
Subject: Re: heavy oil
On Dec 29, 4:06=A0pm, spr272...@netzero.net wrote:
> On Dec 29, 10:24=A0am, GenPounder <darby...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 28, 3:21=A0pm, spr272...@netzero.net wrote:
>
> > > I have a tough time putting strikes together when there is heavy oil
> > > in the middle and dry on the outside of the lanes. I have to aim for
> > > the 1st arrow and and let the ball break all the way across to the
> > > head pin. I prefer to play the middle. any adsvise ?
>
> > What ball are you using? =A0Revs? =A0It could be that your current
> > equipment just doesn't match up with the lane conditions.
>
> I have a hammer: black widdow, storm: special agent, morich: seek &
> destroy, brunswick: t-zone. the problem that I have at this particular
> alley is that the oil is so heavy, that the ball will not break at all
> any where near the middle. I have to go to the extreme outside part of
> the lane to get the ball to hook at all. I am not a high rev bowler
> ( around 12mph ) . I don't like the curve ball ( standing way left and
> aiming at a target way right). I prefer to let the ball do the work,
> using a hand shake grip. at the other alley I bowl at, the oil is not
> as heavy and I get many more strikes.

Playing the outside part of the lane is not a bad thing. Being able
to play all parts of the lane is a very handy thing to be able to do.
Not knowing how any of your equipment is drilled, I would guess that
the Special Agent would be a good ball on your soup condition. It is
what I used until I got a Cell this summer. If getting another ball
is an option, then maybe getting a Virtual Gravity. I prefer Storm
and Roto though so I am biased. A Cell is a good option as well but
from looking at videos and reviews, the VG gets a few more boards than
the Cell though.


 
Date: 29 Dec 2008 18:51:08
From: PromptJock
Subject: Re: heavy oil
> I believe there is such a thing as to much oil. it's fine if you throw
> a straight ball or you are a high rev bowler where the ball will hook
> in any lane condition.

"Too much oil" conditions, where your "normal" equipment seems to be
"neutralised", usually demands one break out a PLASTIC or BASIC
URETHANE ball and deliver same "hard and straight" at the pocket. It
doesn't matter if you have "revs" or not with these balls....

NOTE: some may say "just deliver your 'normal' ball 'hard and
straight', like a plastic/urethane ball!" I opine "yes, you could -
however those balls will quickly get OIL-SOAKED."


  
Date: 29 Dec 2008 22:12:50
From: TNL
Subject: Re: heavy oil

"PromptJock" <102151.3223@compuserve.com > wrote in message
news:4dd32b1f-5613-4fd2-afbe-d247c48a5d07@z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
>> I believe there is such a thing as to much oil. it's fine if you throw
>> a straight ball or you are a high rev bowler where the ball will hook
>> in any lane condition.
>
> "Too much oil" conditions, where your "normal" equipment seems to be
> "neutralised", usually demands one break out a PLASTIC or BASIC
> URETHANE ball and deliver same "hard and straight" at the pocket. It
> doesn't matter if you have "revs" or not with these balls....
>
> NOTE: some may say "just deliver your 'normal' ball 'hard and
> straight', like a plastic/urethane ball!" I opine "yes, you could -
> however those balls will quickly get OIL-SOAKED."
_____________________________________________________
I have an old Columbia "Blue Beast" urethane ball I use when there seems to
be too much oil. I do rev the ball quite a bit but this old ball does cut
through the oil and holds the line better in heavy oil than some of the
newer equipment I have, believe it or not.


--
(Remove "nuttinbut" from email addy to reply direct)
--TNL



 
Date: 29 Dec 2008 14:21:08
From:
Subject: Re: heavy oil
On Dec 28, 4:09=A0pm, "John O" <johnospama...@lottaspamheathkit.com >
wrote:
> <spr272...@netzero.net> wrote in message
>
> news:633845d6-2562-4992-9780-7fa584485934@u18g2000pro.googlegroups.com...
>
> >I have a tough time putting strikes together when there is heavy oil
> > in the middle and dry on the outside of the lanes. I have to aim for
> > the 1st arrow and and let the ball break all the way across to the
> > head pin. I prefer to play the middle. any adsvise ?
>
> Play down the 1st arrow.
>
> Seriously, the condition you describe is the easiest to score on. Learn t=
o
> play it. Master it. It's the one you'll run into more than anything else.
> You can try and fight the conditions, but in my experience its more
> rewarding to kick everybody's ass on fresh oil by playing down-and-in. :-=
)
>
> -John O

I believe there is such a thing as to much oil. it's fine if you throw
a straight ball or you are a high rev bowler where the ball will hook
in any lane condition.


 
Date: 29 Dec 2008 14:06:02
From:
Subject: Re: heavy oil
On Dec 29, 10:24=A0am, GenPounder <darby...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On Dec 28, 3:21=A0pm, spr272...@netzero.net wrote:
>
> > I have a tough time putting strikes together when there is heavy oil
> > in the middle and dry on the outside of the lanes. I have to aim for
> > the 1st arrow and and let the ball break all the way across to the
> > head pin. I prefer to play the middle. any adsvise ?
>
> What ball are you using? =A0Revs? =A0It could be that your current
> equipment just doesn't match up with the lane conditions.

I have a hammer: black widdow, storm: special agent, morich: seek &
destroy, brunswick: t-zone. the problem that I have at this particular
alley is that the oil is so heavy, that the ball will not break at all
any where near the middle. I have to go to the extreme outside part of
the lane to get the ball to hook at all. I am not a high rev bowler
( around 12mph ) . I don't like the curve ball ( standing way left and
aiming at a target way right). I prefer to let the ball do the work,
using a hand shake grip. at the other alley I bowl at, the oil is not
as heavy and I get many more strikes.


 
Date: 29 Dec 2008 10:24:04
From: GenPounder
Subject: Re: heavy oil
On Dec 28, 3:21=A0pm, spr272...@netzero.net wrote:
> I have a tough time putting strikes together when there is heavy oil
> in the middle and dry on the outside of the lanes. I have to aim for
> the 1st arrow and and let the ball break all the way across to the
> head pin. I prefer to play the middle. any adsvise ?

What ball are you using? Revs? It could be that your current
equipment just doesn't match up with the lane conditions.


 
Date: 29 Dec 2008 09:15:45
From: Dan the Man
Subject: Re: heavy oil
On Dec 28, 7:09=A0pm, "John O" <johnospama...@lottaspamheathkit.com >
wrote:
> <spr272...@netzero.net> wrote in message
>
> news:633845d6-2562-4992-9780-7fa584485934@u18g2000pro.googlegroups.com...
>
> >I have a tough time putting strikes together when there is heavy oil
> > in the middle and dry on the outside of the lanes. I have to aim for
> > the 1st arrow and and let the ball break all the way across to the
> > head pin. I prefer to play the middle. any adsvise ?
>
> Play down the 1st arrow.
>
> Seriously, the condition you describe is the easiest to score on. Learn t=
o
> play it. Master it. It's the one you'll run into more than anything else.
> You can try and fight the conditions, but in my experience its more
> rewarding to kick everybody's ass on fresh oil by playing down-and-in. :-=
)
>
> -John O

I only wish I was getting a shot like this. Both of my leagues are
getting the opposite, which is far more demanding.

Dan


  
Date: 29 Dec 2008 13:17:05
From: John O
Subject: Re: heavy oil

"Dan the Man" <dan708@yahoo.com > wrote in message
news:3caf8caf-36e9-4eea-9505-9116d217f96d@u14g2000yqg.googlegroups.com...
On Dec 28, 7:09 pm, "John O" <johnospama...@lottaspamheathkit.com >
wrote:
> <spr272...@netzero.net> wrote in message
>
> news:633845d6-2562-4992-9780-7fa584485934@u18g2000pro.googlegroups.com...
>
> >I have a tough time putting strikes together when there is heavy oil
> > in the middle and dry on the outside of the lanes. I have to aim for
> > the 1st arrow and and let the ball break all the way across to the
> > head pin. I prefer to play the middle. any adsvise ?
>
> Play down the 1st arrow.
>
> Seriously, the condition you describe is the easiest to score on. Learn to
> play it. Master it. It's the one you'll run into more than anything else.
> You can try and fight the conditions, but in my experience its more
> rewarding to kick everybody's ass on fresh oil by playing down-and-in. :-)
>
> -John O

I only wish I was getting a shot like this. Both of my leagues are
getting the opposite, which is far more demanding.

Dan
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't get out too much these days, bowling-wise. The leagues you're in
have more oil on the outside? Is that because they have old machines and
don't strip well, or something? Or are you playing a Sport shot?? ;-)

And honestly, the lanes I play tonight are WAY too easy. This is just a
regular-Joe 16-team league, and my 222 average isn't top ten.

-John O






 
Date: 28 Dec 2008 19:09:09
From: John O
Subject: Re: heavy oil

<spr272000@netzero.net > wrote in message
news:633845d6-2562-4992-9780-7fa584485934@u18g2000pro.googlegroups.com...
>I have a tough time putting strikes together when there is heavy oil
> in the middle and dry on the outside of the lanes. I have to aim for
> the 1st arrow and and let the ball break all the way across to the
> head pin. I prefer to play the middle. any adsvise ?

Play down the 1st arrow.

Seriously, the condition you describe is the easiest to score on. Learn to
play it. Master it. It's the one you'll run into more than anything else.
You can try and fight the conditions, but in my experience its more
rewarding to kick everybody's ass on fresh oil by playing down-and-in. :-)

-John O