bowling-forum.net
The bowlers choice for bowling chat.

Main
Date: 22 Jan 2007 19:34:24
From: robert -wanda fox
Subject: better or best balls??
i know there are a hundred different variations on why or what makes a ball
good,such as the bowler,lanes style etc..,but just in general as to your
opinions on people tested certain balls i would like no more then an opinion
to help me guide to what my next ball would be please?? i average around
200,have a somewhat cranker style and speed is around 15 to 18
depending,lanes useally are very variated,one night dry,or oily,wet ,all
type conditions(the house diffently is challenging,there is no one
shot),currently i have been using an ebonite 'illusion"more on the shiny
side then dull, i also use a amf 'xs' and believe it or not still get a
great shot from my old "power torq",i can play outside or deep and my
equipment is 15 pd.,,,my balls have seen many games and a few
resurfacings,there are know grooves and chips so it's time for something
new. i have been advised on new items as "hammers"doom,toxic,pain, the
"inferno" series of ball, i was told that the older 'storm triple x
threat ' ball was great and was close to my 'illusion'reaction, and last
but not least i was advised that the "lane" line of balls were great and up
my ally(lol) too. any opinions would be great before i put out money .thanks






 
Date: 23 Jan 2007 12:30:29
From: moncho
Subject: Re: better or best balls??
robert -wanda fox wrote:
> i know there are a hundred different variations on why or what makes a ball
> good,such as the bowler,lanes style etc..,but just in general as to your
> opinions on people tested certain balls i would like no more then an opinion
> to help me guide to what my next ball would be please?? i average around
> 200,have a somewhat cranker style and speed is around 15 to 18
> depending,lanes useally are very variated,one night dry,or oily,wet ,all
> type conditions(the house diffently is challenging,there is no one
> shot),currently i have been using an ebonite 'illusion"more on the shiny
> side then dull, i also use a amf 'xs' and believe it or not still get a
> great shot from my old "power torq",i can play outside or deep and my
> equipment is 15 pd.,,,my balls have seen many games and a few
> resurfacings,there are know grooves and chips so it's time for something
> new. i have been advised on new items as "hammers"doom,toxic,pain, the
> "inferno" series of ball, i was told that the older 'storm triple x
> threat ' ball was great and was close to my 'illusion'reaction, and last
> but not least i was advised that the "lane" line of balls were great and up
> my ally(lol) too. any opinions would be great before i put out money .thanks
>

My question, before you buy a new ball, is what are your current issues
that cause you to only have a 200 average?

**Now when I say "only have a 200 average", you sound like you are
consistent but may have a problem area that keeps you from getting a 210
or 220 average.

Do you leave a lot of 7 or 10 pins (are you a righty or lefty?)?
Do you get many strikes and then miss many spares?
Are you inconsistent playing your current line?
Are you able to change your line during the course of play?
Do you recognize the changes in the lane conditions in a timely fashion?

I currently average 213 in one house and 214 in another house and I have
to use two separate lines of which I modify as the lanes breakdown as
the night goes on. Last year my averages were 197 and 198 respectively.

I asked the questions above because those are the five things I
changed/practiced on over the last year. The funny thing is, I only
purchased a new ball last week, so I was increasing my average with my
other two balls I purchased three years ago. I have been picking up 90%
of my 7 pins (lefty) over the last month (was 60% in the beginning of
the year) and I have converted 98% of single pin spares to the right of
the 7 pin (I use to miss many 6 pins, weird huh) all year. I believe
making my spares have increase my average along with tweaking my strike
ball.

Either way, after you figure out the above, you may want to look at the
Ebonite "One" series of balls. I am a little bias here because I have
recently switched to the Ebonite line by a new pro shop and so far all
is working out well.

No matter what top-of-the-line or near the top-of-the-line ball you
choose, surfaces and drilling patterns can be changed by the pro shop.

moncho



  
Date: 23 Jan 2007 15:09:03
From: robert -wanda fox
Subject: Re: better or best balls??

>
> My question, before you buy a new ball, is what are your current issues
> that cause you to only have a 200 average?

i bowl 3 leagues close together,one is a late night shift,and being 50 yrs.
old and working 8 hrs i tend to get tired and start to relax or slow the
speed and "english" on my throws after so many frames,especially if it's a
dry shot and more speed and angle are needed for carry in this house.i have
many, many upper 400's and some low 500's at the turn,but fatigue sometimes
will follow and the third game isn't up to par to carry consistant.by the
third more splits are constant and the scores lower to 150 to 170 range

>
.
>
> Do you leave a lot of 7 or 10 pins (are you a righty or lefty?)?

not really,some of course,but i do have about a 50/50 rate on picking up the
ten pins of course,even though it's probally more like 7 out of 10
recently(this of course answers your ?,righty)


> Do you get many strikes and then miss many spares?

this of course happens too,bad throws and letting my speed or mark go
because of tiredness does play a part


> Are you inconsistent playing your current line?

i occassionlly have a brain fart like i know nothing about playing lines,but
no,i can stay on the mark even though in this house it moves every 6 or 7
frames it seems,very inconsistent house,this is what makes it challenging


> Are you able to change your line during the course of play?

many times i have to play deep or switch to outside ,or loft and ball speed
sometimes will have to change.


> Do you recognize the changes in the lane conditions in a timely fashion?

i try to keep up and useally do a good job,but it's hard to watch others too
as a guide when no one else is running your line and mark.


>
> I currently average 213 in one house and 214 in another house and I have
> to use two separate lines of which I modify as the lanes breakdown as
> the night goes on. Last year my averages were 197 and 198 respectively.
>
> I asked the questions above because those are the five things I
> changed/practiced on over the last year. The funny thing is, I only
> purchased a new ball last week, so I was increasing my average with my
> other two balls I purchased three years ago. I have been picking up 90%
> of my 7 pins (lefty) over the last month (was 60% in the beginning of
> the year) and I have converted 98% of single pin spares to the right of
> the 7 pin (I use to miss many 6 pins, weird huh) all year. I believe
> making my spares have increase my average along with tweaking my strike
> ball.

i'll try to keep these in mind also,advice is always valuable and no one is
that good they can't stand some advice,thanks
>
> Either way, after you figure out the above, you may want to look at the
> Ebonite "One" series of balls. I am a little bias here because I have
> recently switched to the Ebonite line by a new pro shop and so far all
> is working out well.

my 'illusion' is ebonite and i to like the line.
>
> No matter what top-of-the-line or near the top-of-the-line ball you
> choose, surfaces and drilling patterns can be changed by the pro shop.
>
> moncho
>




   
Date: 23 Jan 2007 16:20:31
From: moncho
Subject: Re: better or best balls??
robert -wanda fox wrote:
>> My question, before you buy a new ball, is what are your current issues
>> that cause you to only have a 200 average?
>
> i bowl 3 leagues close together,one is a late night shift,and being 50 yrs.
> old and working 8 hrs i tend to get tired and start to relax or slow the
> speed and "english" on my throws after so many frames,especially if it's a
> dry shot and more speed and angle are needed for carry in this house.i have
> many, many upper 400's and some low 500's at the turn,but fatigue sometimes
> will follow and the third game isn't up to par to carry consistant.by the
> third more splits are constant and the scores lower to 150 to 170 range

The main clues I see above are "50 yrs", "late shift", and "fatique"
(3rd game). This leads me to believe you may (you may) need to move
down a pound or so. Although I am only 35, I ended up moving down to
14lb ball because I work 6 days and 60+ hrs per week and I am just a
little tired to throw a 15 or 16lb ball. Also, I have much better
control with a 14.

The "late shift" explains why your conditions are so messed up. Unless
the alley reconditions the lane after each session (I doubt it), you
will always bowl on crap conditions. Imagine the individuals who bowl
before you throwing straight balls down the middle of the heavy oil
creating heavy carry down. My Thursday night league is like that. I
have to move my line atleast 4 boards to the outside just to get it to
turn into the pocket at 45'.

Check out www.bowl4fun.com and look at some of the tweaks you can do
with your fingers create/diminish the hook. There are many other tweaks
to help with other situations.

>
> .
>> Do you leave a lot of 7 or 10 pins (are you a righty or lefty?)?
>
> not really,some of course,but i do have about a 50/50 rate on picking up the
> ten pins of course,even though it's probally more like 7 out of 10
> recently(this of course answers your ?,righty)

Getting more clean games in addition to your strikes will 100% raise
your average and keep you into the thick of the money chase. You may
want to think of a plastic ball for 10 pins. I have not gone that far
yet. I am currently learning to throw a straight ball to solve this
problem. Also, if you leave three 10 pins on the lane every night your
are also leaving 30+ pin off your series.

>
>
>> Do you get many strikes and then miss many spares?
>
> this of course happens too,bad throws and letting my speed or mark go
> because of tiredness does play a part
>
>
>> Are you inconsistent playing your current line?
>
> i occassionlly have a brain fart like i know nothing about playing lines,but
> no,i can stay on the mark even though in this house it moves every 6 or 7
> frames it seems,very inconsistent house,this is what makes it challenging

I know your pain.

>
>
>> Are you able to change your line during the course of play?
>
> many times i have to play deep or switch to outside ,or loft and ball speed
> sometimes will have to change.

Check out the hand tweaks.

>
>
>> Do you recognize the changes in the lane conditions in a timely fashion?
>
> i try to keep up and useally do a good job,but it's hard to watch others too
> as a guide when no one else is running your line and mark.
>
>
>> I currently average 213 in one house and 214 in another house and I have
>> to use two separate lines of which I modify as the lanes breakdown as
>> the night goes on. Last year my averages were 197 and 198 respectively.
>>
>> I asked the questions above because those are the five things I
>> changed/practiced on over the last year. The funny thing is, I only
>> purchased a new ball last week, so I was increasing my average with my
>> other two balls I purchased three years ago. I have been picking up 90%
>> of my 7 pins (lefty) over the last month (was 60% in the beginning of
>> the year) and I have converted 98% of single pin spares to the right of
>> the 7 pin (I use to miss many 6 pins, weird huh) all year. I believe
>> making my spares have increase my average along with tweaking my strike
>> ball.
>
> i'll try to keep these in mind also,advice is always valuable and no one is
> that good they can't stand some advice,thanks
>> Either way, after you figure out the above, you may want to look at the
>> Ebonite "One" series of balls. I am a little bias here because I have
>> recently switched to the Ebonite line by a new pro shop and so far all
>> is working out well.
>
> my 'illusion' is ebonite and i to like the line.
>> No matter what top-of-the-line or near the top-of-the-line ball you
>> choose, surfaces and drilling patterns can be changed by the pro shop.

I just had a brain fart and forgot the illusion was an Ebonite ball. My
pro shop and I have been working on getting me fit to my ball and based
on last weeks results, I think we may have found a ball that works for
certain types of med-med/high oil. I am throw a SR300 down and in and
shot a 730 with it last week. We decided to use a different drill
pattern that will roll a little sooner, make the turn and keep on going
through the pins. I have never had a ball do exactly what I wanted it
to without making tweaks to myself. Tonight is a re-test.

If tonight works out, props to my pro shop and me of course.

bam



    
Date: 24 Jan 2007 04:36:43
From: robert -wanda fox
Subject: Re: better or best balls??

> The main clues I see above are "50 yrs", "late shift", and "fatique"
> (3rd game). This leads me to believe you may (you may) need to move
> down a pound or so.

i too have been playing with the idea of a 14 pd. next,only thoughts are
that the lighter the ball the less carry it would tend to have,even though i
have read and heard that with todays balls little is actually lost like the
older balls were.



.
>
> The "late shift" explains why your conditions are so messed up. Unless
> the alley reconditions the lane after each session (I doubt it), you
> will always bowl on crap conditions.

actually one late shift does not oil,but the other one does(or at times it
only seems they run the oiling machine down the lanes) i bowl on sunday
mornings and being more refreshed i am actually running a 207 consistant on
that league.it's only really the night one's that are least consistant and
pins lower.

Imagine the individuals who bowl
> before you throwing straight balls down the middle of the heavy oil
> creating heavy carry down.

of god how i know that feeling,people using plastic balls slower speeds,all
the oil gets carried in front of the pocket,no backends,pools on the
lane,balls not finishing,going light into pocket,or even worse is the back
up bowler.that really messes up the shot.


>
> Check out www.bowl4fun.com and look at some of the tweaks you can do
> with your fingers create/diminish the hook. There are many other tweaks
> to help with other situations.

i will check it out,thanks for your time,it's refreshing to talk to someone
with other advice to help
>
> >
> Getting more clean games in addition to your strikes will 100% raise
> your average and keep you into the thick of the money chase.

makes perfect sense

You may
> want to think of a plastic ball for 10 pins.

used to use a white dot,have been working on a more cross lane broken wrist
effect,it's more effective at the time and my conversion rate is better
> >
> >
>> >
> > >> Are you able to change your line during the course of play?
> >
> > many times i have to play deep or switch to outside ,or loft and ball
speed
> > sometimes will have to change.
>
> Check out the hand tweaks.

will let you know how things work out in the long run
>
> >
> I just had a brain fart and forgot the illusion was an Ebonite ball. My
> pro shop and I have been working on getting me fit to my ball and based
> on last weeks results, I think we may have found a ball that works for
> certain types of med-med/high oil. I am throw a SR300 down and in and
> shot a 730 with it last week.


thats great,is it going to be more of a all around ball? or do you like me
carry an arsenal for certain conditions(such as tournement play in different
houses)?


We decided to use a different drill
> pattern that will roll a little sooner, make the turn and keep on going
> through the pins. I have never had a ball do exactly what I wanted it
> to without making tweaks to myself. Tonight is a re-test.


do you trust or believe in balance holes?i hear just as many people say they
are worthless as those who swear in them?some tell me they are onlty to
bring the ball back to legal,others use them to get just a little more turn
or roll in the ball?



>
> If tonight works out, props to my pro shop and me of course.


good luck of course,let me know how it turns out. bob
>
> bam
>




     
Date: 24 Jan 2007 13:16:01
From: newsreader
Subject: Re: better or best balls??
To paraphrase the great Tom Kouros.

"Four factors affect pin carry.
The mass of the ball.
The speed of the ball
The angle into the pocket
The nature of the ball roll
Of these four by far the most important is the nature of the ball roll."

As evidence of this I (me, not Kouros) refer you to helicopter bowlers
who make high scores and three hundred games with 11 pound balls.
I would also use the point that different bowlers seem to have their own
pin reactions. it is very evident when you watch a league. It is even
more evident if you get two different bowlers (with same size hands) to
bowl the same ball on the same lane. You can see two very different pin
reactions from the same ball even when bowled at very similar speeds.

The nature of the modern 'power' balls and games is such that the pins
get blown off the deck and don't get much chance to mix properly (to use
the kick backs). This is a manufacturer led process. People are
countering this by going for lighter balls to reduce power at the pins.
manufacturers also love this as it means yet more new equipment.

Far better to to see a good coach.

Best pin reactions I have ever seen come from bowlers that develop
mid-roll. But the equipment wars have made this a rare skill.

Kouros explains mid-roll well in his book but a good coach can add
better pin reaction for you - and is probably needed.

robert -wanda fox wrote:
>> The main clues I see above are "50 yrs", "late shift", and "fatique"
>> (3rd game). This leads me to believe you may (you may) need to move
>> down a pound or so.
>
> i too have been playing with the idea of a 14 pd. next,only thoughts are
> that the lighter the ball the less carry it would tend to have,even though i
> have read and heard that with todays balls little is actually lost like the
> older balls were.
>
>
>


      
Date: 05 Feb 2007 16:44:02
From: Dr. Wayne Simon
Subject: Re: better or best balls??

"newsreader" <whome@127.0.0.1 > wrote in message
news:l_Ith.72795$KT2.4208@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
> To paraphrase the great Tom Kouros.
>
> "Four factors affect pin carry.
> The mass of the ball.
> The speed of the ball
> The angle into the pocket
> The nature of the ball roll
> Of these four by far the most important is the nature of the ball roll."
>
> As evidence of this I (me, not Kouros) refer you to helicopter bowlers who
> make high scores and three hundred games with 11 pound balls.
> I would also use the point that different bowlers seem to have their own
> pin reactions. it is very evident when you watch a league. It is even more
> evident if you get two different bowlers (with same size hands) to bowl
> the same ball on the same lane. You can see two very different pin
> reactions from the same ball even when bowled at very similar speeds.
>
> The nature of the modern 'power' balls and games is such that the pins get
> blown off the deck and don't get much chance to mix properly (to use the
> kick backs). This is a manufacturer led process. People are countering
> this by going for lighter balls to reduce power at the pins. manufacturers
> also love this as it means yet more new equipment.
>
> Far better to to see a good coach.
>
> Best pin reactions I have ever seen come from bowlers that develop
> mid-roll. But the equipment wars have made this a rare skill.
>
> Kouros explains mid-roll well in his book but a good coach can add better
> pin reaction for you - and is probably needed.
>
> robert -wanda fox wrote:
>>> The main clues I see above are "50 yrs", "late shift", and "fatique"
>>> (3rd game). This leads me to believe you may (you may) need to move
>>> down a pound or so.
>>
>> i too have been playing with the idea of a 14 pd. next,only thoughts are
>> that the lighter the ball the less carry it would tend to have,even
>> though i
>> have read and heard that with todays balls little is actually lost like
>> the
>> older balls were.
>>
>> One should not take the Mass effect of the ball, Momentum into
the pocket, assuming average weighted pins, lightly. Most bowlers
will drop their average if they go to a lighter ball, unless they cannot
handle
the heavier ball. Assuming they can throw either ball in the pocket
regularly,
the carry will be much better with the heavier ball. Try bowling with an
illegal 18 pound ball and watch your scores go up. Get caught in
sanctioned
competition, and find another sport.




     
Date: 24 Jan 2007 05:52:52
From: moncho
Subject: Re: better or best balls??
robert -wanda fox wrote:
>> The main clues I see above are "50 yrs", "late shift", and "fatique"
>> (3rd game). This leads me to believe you may (you may) need to move
>> down a pound or so.
>
> i too have been playing with the idea of a 14 pd. next,only thoughts are
> that the lighter the ball the less carry it would tend to have,even though i
> have read and heard that with todays balls little is actually lost like the
> older balls were.
>
>
>
> .
>> The "late shift" explains why your conditions are so messed up. Unless
>> the alley reconditions the lane after each session (I doubt it), you
>> will always bowl on crap conditions.
>
> actually one late shift does not oil,but the other one does(or at times it
> only seems they run the oiling machine down the lanes) i bowl on sunday
> mornings and being more refreshed i am actually running a 207 consistant on
> that league.it's only really the night one's that are least consistant and
> pins lower.
>
> Imagine the individuals who bowl
>> before you throwing straight balls down the middle of the heavy oil
>> creating heavy carry down.
>
> of god how i know that feeling,people using plastic balls slower speeds,all
> the oil gets carried in front of the pocket,no backends,pools on the
> lane,balls not finishing,going light into pocket,or even worse is the back
> up bowler.that really messes up the shot.
>
>
>> Check out www.bowl4fun.com and look at some of the tweaks you can do
>> with your fingers create/diminish the hook. There are many other tweaks
>> to help with other situations.
>
> i will check it out,thanks for your time,it's refreshing to talk to someone
> with other advice to help
>> Getting more clean games in addition to your strikes will 100% raise
>> your average and keep you into the thick of the money chase.
>
> makes perfect sense

The thing is, some times you have good spare nights and sometimes not.
Last night was a BADDDDD spare night. My 7 pin conversion ratio to a
hugh dump last night. Just when I thought I had it figured out!

>
> You may
>> want to think of a plastic ball for 10 pins.
>
> used to use a white dot,have been working on a more cross lane broken wrist
> effect,it's more effective at the time and my conversion rate is better
>>>
>>>>> Are you able to change your line during the course of play?
>>> many times i have to play deep or switch to outside ,or loft and ball
> speed
>>> sometimes will have to change.
>> Check out the hand tweaks.
>
> will let you know how things work out in the long run
>> I just had a brain fart and forgot the illusion was an Ebonite ball. My
>> pro shop and I have been working on getting me fit to my ball and based
>> on last weeks results, I think we may have found a ball that works for
>> certain types of med-med/high oil. I am throw a SR300 down and in and
>> shot a 730 with it last week.
>
>
> thats great,is it going to be more of a all around ball? or do you like me
> carry an arsenal for certain conditions(such as tournement play in different
> houses)?
>

I think this ball will have to be towards specific patterns. I went to
a new house (atleast for me) to practice and I could barely do anything
with this ball. Tried playing many different lines to and tweaks but to
no avail. Pulled out my "Big One" and all was well. I have recently
begun to billed my arsenal. My pro shop is reasonable for drilling and
ball prices so he is making it affordable. Right now I have a Dynothane
Anomaly, 15 lb Big One, SR300, old Blue Hammer and am thinking about
getting an Infinite One (back to a 14 lb) for heavy oil.

>
> We decided to use a different drill
>> pattern that will roll a little sooner, make the turn and keep on going
>> through the pins. I have never had a ball do exactly what I wanted it
>> to without making tweaks to myself. Tonight is a re-test.
>
>
> do you trust or believe in balance holes?i hear just as many people say they
> are worthless as those who swear in them?some tell me they are onlty to
> bring the ball back to legal,others use them to get just a little more turn
> or roll in the ball?

I use to believe in balance holes. I have a balance hole in my Anomaly.
After speaking with my new pro shop, we have just been messing with
surfaces and pin placements (during drilling). With the adjustments you
can make to the ball surface, I just do not see the need for a balance
hole. Heck, I am not a ball driller and do not understand all the
technical aspects/physics surrounding a bowling ball. I can only state
what works for me.

>
>
>
>> If tonight works out, props to my pro shop and me of course.
>
>
> good luck of course,let me know how it turns out. bob

As stated above, spares were a major problem. I believe it was ENTIRELY
mental. Strikes were there. Ran atleast a string of 5 in each game. I
should have had a 222 triplicate but of course, I blew the 4/7 spare in
the 10th of the third game. Either way, spares cost me a 750. I had
three opens in each game. Yes, that is each ?@$%# game. Argh!

moncho


     
Date: 24 Jan 2007 05:15:56
From: Darby
Subject: Re: better or best balls??
Even some of the pros are dropping weight in their bowling balls. I'm over
50 and haven't dropped in weight, but I've been bowling with 14 pound balls
for 30 years. It depends on what you can handle. If you pick up speed with a
lighter ball the impact should stay nearly the same.
Dar

"robert -wanda fox" <res0ta8b@verizon.net > wrote in message
news:vnBth.7278$8P.2199@trndny05...
>
>> The main clues I see above are "50 yrs", "late shift", and "fatique"
>> (3rd game). This leads me to believe you may (you may) need to move
>> down a pound or so.
>
> i too have been playing with the idea of a 14 pd. next,only thoughts are
> that the lighter the ball the less carry it would tend to have,even though
> i
> have read and heard that with todays balls little is actually lost like
> the
> older balls were.
>
>
>
> .
>>
>> The "late shift" explains why your conditions are so messed up. Unless
>> the alley reconditions the lane after each session (I doubt it), you
>> will always bowl on crap conditions.
>
> actually one late shift does not oil,but the other one does(or at times it
> only seems they run the oiling machine down the lanes) i bowl on sunday
> mornings and being more refreshed i am actually running a 207 consistant
> on
> that league.it's only really the night one's that are least consistant and
> pins lower.
>
> Imagine the individuals who bowl
>> before you throwing straight balls down the middle of the heavy oil
>> creating heavy carry down.
>
> of god how i know that feeling,people using plastic balls slower
> speeds,all
> the oil gets carried in front of the pocket,no backends,pools on the
> lane,balls not finishing,going light into pocket,or even worse is the
> back
> up bowler.that really messes up the shot.
>
>
>>
>> Check out www.bowl4fun.com and look at some of the tweaks you can do
>> with your fingers create/diminish the hook. There are many other tweaks
>> to help with other situations.
>
> i will check it out,thanks for your time,it's refreshing to talk to
> someone
> with other advice to help
>>
>> >
>> Getting more clean games in addition to your strikes will 100% raise
>> your average and keep you into the thick of the money chase.
>
> makes perfect sense
>
> You may
>> want to think of a plastic ball for 10 pins.
>
> used to use a white dot,have been working on a more cross lane broken
> wrist
> effect,it's more effective at the time and my conversion rate is better
>> >
>> >
>>> >
>> > >> Are you able to change your line during the course of play?
>> >
>> > many times i have to play deep or switch to outside ,or loft and ball
> speed
>> > sometimes will have to change.
>>
>> Check out the hand tweaks.
>
> will let you know how things work out in the long run
>>
>> >
>> I just had a brain fart and forgot the illusion was an Ebonite ball. My
>> pro shop and I have been working on getting me fit to my ball and based
>> on last weeks results, I think we may have found a ball that works for
>> certain types of med-med/high oil. I am throw a SR300 down and in and
>> shot a 730 with it last week.
>
>
> thats great,is it going to be more of a all around ball? or do you like me
> carry an arsenal for certain conditions(such as tournement play in
> different
> houses)?
>
>
> We decided to use a different drill
>> pattern that will roll a little sooner, make the turn and keep on going
>> through the pins. I have never had a ball do exactly what I wanted it
>> to without making tweaks to myself. Tonight is a re-test.
>
>
> do you trust or believe in balance holes?i hear just as many people say
> they
> are worthless as those who swear in them?some tell me they are onlty to
> bring the ball back to legal,others use them to get just a little more
> turn
> or roll in the ball?
>
>
>
>>
>> If tonight works out, props to my pro shop and me of course.
>
>
> good luck of course,let me know how it turns out. bob
>>
>> bam
>>
>
>




 
Date: 22 Jan 2007 19:53:52
From: newsreader
Subject: Re: better or best balls??
best to explain this to local pro shop guy - and let him watch you bowl
as well so he can help you select the ball you need. there are zillions
of them out there.
You are averaging 200 in a hard house so not too much wrong by the sound
of it. What makes you think you need a new ball.
robert -wanda fox wrote:
> i know there are a hundred different variations on why or what makes a ball
> good,such as the bowler,lanes style etc..,but just in general as to your
> opinions on people tested certain balls i would like no more then an opinion
> to help me guide to what my next ball would be please?? i average around
> 200,have a somewhat cranker style and speed is around 15 to 18
> depending,lanes useally are very variated,one night dry,or oily,wet ,all
> type conditions(the house diffently is challenging,there is no one
> shot),currently i have been using an ebonite 'illusion"more on the shiny
> side then dull, i also use a amf 'xs' and believe it or not still get a
> great shot from my old "power torq",i can play outside or deep and my
> equipment is 15 pd.,,,my balls have seen many games and a few
> resurfacings,there are know grooves and chips so it's time for something
> new. i have been advised on new items as "hammers"doom,toxic,pain, the
> "inferno" series of ball, i was told that the older 'storm triple x
> threat ' ball was great and was close to my 'illusion'reaction, and last
> but not least i was advised that the "lane" line of balls were great and up
> my ally(lol) too. any opinions would be great before i put out money .thanks
>
>


  
Date: 22 Jan 2007 20:18:21
From: robert -wanda fox
Subject: Re: better or best balls??

"newsreader" <whome@127.0.0.1 > wrote in message
news:kD8th.19511$696.3813@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...
> best to explain this to local pro shop guy - and let him watch you bowl
> as well so he can help you select the ball you need. there are zillions
> of them out there.
> You are averaging 200 in a hard house so not too much wrong by the sound
> of it. What makes you think you need a new ball.

i basically use the 'illusion" as my all around ball and there is always big
money riding on my games with brackets,sidepots and side games the house
offers,as much as i still love the sport of bowling,the money end of it has
taken on all but too much of it's attraction,regular leagues don't have as
much in common as years gone by as "great scores' or team champs as much as
laying down $5 per bracket @ 10 or so brackets @ $30 for first to $10 for
second apyout,let alone anywhere $30 to $200 sidepots or placing,so my game
and equipment must be at peak,i still retain a diffenent team spirit and
personal best"i still think anything over 200 score or 600 series is
great,but these scores don't do much for money wins,you have to be in the
middle to upper 200's and at least lower 700's to upper 600's to make any
money. getting back to the question these reasons are why my 'illusion'
showing several "chips around the finger holes,bridge,and indentations a
little too many in my track are making me think on the lines of retiring the
ball,my other balls are more for certain lane conditions and i probally will
continue to use them.



> robert -wanda fox wrote:
> > i know there are a hundred different variations on why or what makes a
ball
> > good,such as the bowler,lanes style etc..,but just in general as to your
> > opinions on people tested certain balls i would like no more then an
opinion
> > to help me guide to what my next ball would be please?? i average
around
> > 200,have a somewhat cranker style and speed is around 15 to 18
> > depending,lanes useally are very variated,one night dry,or oily,wet ,all

> > type conditions(the house diffently is challenging,there is no one
> > shot),currently i have been using an ebonite 'illusion"more on the shiny
> > side then dull, i also use a amf 'xs' and believe it or not still get a
> > great shot from my old "power torq",i can play outside or deep and my
> > equipment is 15 pd.,,,my balls have seen many games and a few
> > resurfacings,there are know grooves and chips so it's time for
something
> > new. i have been advised on new items as "hammers"doom,toxic,pain,
the
> > "inferno" series of ball, i was told that the older 'storm triple x
> > threat ' ball was great and was close to my 'illusion'reaction, and
last
> > but not least i was advised that the "lane" line of balls were great and
up
> > my ally(lol) too. any opinions would be great before i put out money
.thanks
> >
> >




   
Date: 22 Jan 2007 23:44:49
From: newsreader
Subject: Re: better or best balls??
robert -wanda fox wrote:
>
> i basically use the 'illusion" as my all around ball and there is always big
snip
pro shop best bet then a couple of lessons from a qualified coach.
It could be technique, it could be equipment, in many cases it is often
lane play.....