bowling-forum.net
The bowlers choice for bowling chat.

Main
Date: 28 Nov 2008 19:54:40
From:
Subject: What's better: a 16 lb ball or a 14-15 with more SPEED?
Is there a 'consensus' on that? I've bowled with a 16 lb for many
years, but have tendonitis in the elbow and wrist pretty bad. I think
dropping to a 14-15 would help. I think I'd gain some more control
and speed, and be able to handle dry conditions better. I have NEVER
had a problem getting the ball to hook. I can hook on ice!

But, would losing the pound or two make a bigger difference than my
ability to perhaps be more accurate and hit the pocket at a better
angle? I feel like the 16 lb ball is a bit 'sluggish' by the 3rd or
4th game, if you know what I mean.

I sort of wonder this when I see the women bowling. The one girl (her
name escapes me but she is the real POWER bowler) seems to hit
wayyyyyyyyyyy more devastating than the others. I don't know what
weights they are using, but if she's throwing a 14 lb ball like that,
is it more vicious than a 16 pound thrown with less "oomph" on it?

Thoughts?
T




 
Date: 30 Nov 2008 06:06:08
From: PromptJock
Subject: Re: What's better: a 16 lb ball or a 14-15 with more SPEED?
> This says it much better that I can:
> http://www.bowlercentral.com/RonClifton.htm#RonNews14
> You may well carry better with 14lb.

THAT was the aforementioned article I encountered! Thank you for
"digging up" the reference... :)


 
Date: 30 Nov 2008 00:10:52
From:
Subject: Re: What's better: a 16 lb ball or a 14-15 with more SPEED?
On 29, 4:00=A0pm, "Darlene Block" <tenpinhawk...@mchsi.com > wrote:
> <Twp1...@gmail.com> wrote wrote:
> > > Is there a 'consensus' on that? I've bowled with a 16 lb for many
> > > years, but have tendonitis in the elbow and wrist pretty bad. I think
> > > dropping to a 14-15 would help. I think I'd gain some more control
> > > and speed, and be able to handle dry conditions better. I have NEVER
> > > had a problem getting the ball to hook. I can hook on ice!
>
> > > But, would losing the pound or two make a bigger difference than my
> > > ability to perhaps be more accurate and hit the pocket at a better
> > > angle? I feel like the 16 lb ball is a bit 'sluggish' by the 3rd or
> > > 4th game, if you know what I mean.
>
> > A Lighter Ball can definitely keep someone who can't heft a larger
> > ball bowling.
>
> > HOWEVER, don't be fooled into thinking you need "more speed, etc." - a
> > "howitzer" ball will more than likely deliver more SPLITS than
> > strikes.
>
> > In Reality, you still need to maintain ACCURACY AND SPEED CONTROL,
> > even with 12-14 lb. balls. In fact, what you "lose" in the "hitting
> > power" of a heavier ball (i.e., "freight train" vs. "station wagon")
> > can be replaced with FINESSE (i.e., better targeting, entry angles,
> > speed control), and that's where one finds their skills (and
> > averages!) will increase. IOW, become a BETTER AND MORE ACCURATE
> > BOWLER, and you'll find yourself stringing strikes where the "power,
> > etc." bowler with The Bigger Balls struggles with leaving corner pins,
> > splits and washouts.
>
> > > I sort of wonder this when I see the women bowling. The one girl (her
> > > name escapes me but she is the real POWER bowler) seems to hit
> > > wayyyyyyyyyyy more devastating than the others. I don't know what
> > > weights they are using, but if she's throwing a 14 lb ball like that,
> > > is it more vicious than a 16 pound thrown with less "oomph" on it?
>
> > If you're referring to MICHELLE FELDMAN, she certainly is the only
> > "power bowler" in the Professional Women's Group. However, it's
> > because of her "power" that she often times has trouble "producing"
> > wins with her 16 lb. gear. Ditto with the male "power players" at
> > times.
>
> > In General, a heavier ball, delivered at the same speed as a lighter
> > ball, WILL INDEED have more "oomph!" However, that "oomph!" carries
> > with it the spectre of the aforementioned single pin/split/washout
> > woes compared to the lighter balls. Conversely, the lighter balls
> > require GREATER "PRECISION" in targeting/speed/entry angle to
> > "produce".
>
> > With that typed, I read last year that many PRO MEN are using 14 lb.
> > balls. Couple the lighter weight with their "trained precision", and
> > you can see why they're Pros. :)
>
> > Does this help any?
>
> It does. I know to an extent it's "to each his own". =A0My ideal ball
> speed is 17-18 mph. =A0With a 16 lb ball I feel like I can maintain that
> for 1 or 2 games, then tendonitis kicks in. =A0Then I'm either
> struggling to keep up my speed, and battling control issues as a
> combination of that and the tendonitis. =A0For me a 14-15 lb ball would
> prolly help me stay within the proper range of speed for 3 games, and
> lessen some of the strain on my elbow in combination with a support
> wrap or brace of some sort. =A0So - I think the lighter ball would be
> the way to go to 'maintain' what I'm trying to do for 3 games and put
> less wear and tear on the wrist and elbow.
>
> That all seems to be consistent with what you say. =A0I'm not trying to
> throw 25 mph either. =A0But if I get below 17 (as I tend to do after 2
> or 3 games) then I've got to play such a big hook it's hard to
> control. =A0Trying to straighten out the ball sometimes works, but would
> prolly work better with a little less weight to control. =A0Seems like a
> win-win to get a lighter ball. =A0Thanks for the input!
>
> T
>
> You could also buy another ball that would work on the slower ball speed =
or
> dryer conditions of game three. Many people have several balls for differ=
ent
> conditions but are all the same weight and fit. Or do both... go to a
> lighter ball and then after a while get another ball of that weight that
> would work on dryer conditions.
> Dar- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

That could be the ticket. I've pretty much ALWAYS been able to hook
as much as I want. So - I welcome heavily oiled lanes, as I can just
find a spot to the outside and still get back to the pocket, and I
seem to have a lot of room out there. Even once they start to break
down, I have room. When the lanes START OUT dry I struggle a bit
more, and that's where a lighter and/or less aggressive ball would
work. I've averaged around a 200+ and that's using one and only one
ball for all lanes and all conditions. I do keep a plastic ball for
spares in case I encounter bone dry lanes. I'm not looking to be a
pro or spend hundreds on equipment. But I know with better equipment
I could improve.

T


  
Date: 30 Nov 2008 23:24:15
From: Rob
Subject: Re: What's better: a 16 lb ball or a 14-15 with more SPEED?
This says it much better that I can:
http://www.bowlercentral.com/RonClifton.htm#RonNews14
You may well carry better with 14lb.

Rob.


<Twp1976@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:60c2bcd1-8774-42e7-9ad2-f0c8411d5b65@v13g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
On 29, 4:00 pm, "Darlene Block" <tenpinhawk...@mchsi.com > wrote:
> <Twp1...@gmail.com> wrote wrote:
> > > Is there a 'consensus' on that? I've bowled with a 16 lb for many
> > > years, but have tendonitis in the elbow and wrist pretty bad. I think
> > > dropping to a 14-15 would help. I think I'd gain some more control
> > > and speed, and be able to handle dry conditions better. I have NEVER
> > > had a problem getting the ball to hook. I can hook on ice!
>
> > > But, would losing the pound or two make a bigger difference than my
> > > ability to perhaps be more accurate and hit the pocket at a better
> > > angle? I feel like the 16 lb ball is a bit 'sluggish' by the 3rd or
> > > 4th game, if you know what I mean.
>
> > A Lighter Ball can definitely keep someone who can't heft a larger
> > ball bowling.
>
> > HOWEVER, don't be fooled into thinking you need "more speed, etc." - a
> > "howitzer" ball will more than likely deliver more SPLITS than
> > strikes.
>
> > In Reality, you still need to maintain ACCURACY AND SPEED CONTROL,
> > even with 12-14 lb. balls. In fact, what you "lose" in the "hitting
> > power" of a heavier ball (i.e., "freight train" vs. "station wagon")
> > can be replaced with FINESSE (i.e., better targeting, entry angles,
> > speed control), and that's where one finds their skills (and
> > averages!) will increase. IOW, become a BETTER AND MORE ACCURATE
> > BOWLER, and you'll find yourself stringing strikes where the "power,
> > etc." bowler with The Bigger Balls struggles with leaving corner pins,
> > splits and washouts.
>
> > > I sort of wonder this when I see the women bowling. The one girl (her
> > > name escapes me but she is the real POWER bowler) seems to hit
> > > wayyyyyyyyyyy more devastating than the others. I don't know what
> > > weights they are using, but if she's throwing a 14 lb ball like that,
> > > is it more vicious than a 16 pound thrown with less "oomph" on it?
>
> > If you're referring to MICHELLE FELDMAN, she certainly is the only
> > "power bowler" in the Professional Women's Group. However, it's
> > because of her "power" that she often times has trouble "producing"
> > wins with her 16 lb. gear. Ditto with the male "power players" at
> > times.
>
> > In General, a heavier ball, delivered at the same speed as a lighter
> > ball, WILL INDEED have more "oomph!" However, that "oomph!" carries
> > with it the spectre of the aforementioned single pin/split/washout
> > woes compared to the lighter balls. Conversely, the lighter balls
> > require GREATER "PRECISION" in targeting/speed/entry angle to
> > "produce".
>
> > With that typed, I read last year that many PRO MEN are using 14 lb.
> > balls. Couple the lighter weight with their "trained precision", and
> > you can see why they're Pros. :)
>
> > Does this help any?
>
> It does. I know to an extent it's "to each his own". My ideal ball
> speed is 17-18 mph. With a 16 lb ball I feel like I can maintain that
> for 1 or 2 games, then tendonitis kicks in. Then I'm either
> struggling to keep up my speed, and battling control issues as a
> combination of that and the tendonitis. For me a 14-15 lb ball would
> prolly help me stay within the proper range of speed for 3 games, and
> lessen some of the strain on my elbow in combination with a support
> wrap or brace of some sort. So - I think the lighter ball would be
> the way to go to 'maintain' what I'm trying to do for 3 games and put
> less wear and tear on the wrist and elbow.
>
> That all seems to be consistent with what you say. I'm not trying to
> throw 25 mph either. But if I get below 17 (as I tend to do after 2
> or 3 games) then I've got to play such a big hook it's hard to
> control. Trying to straighten out the ball sometimes works, but would
> prolly work better with a little less weight to control. Seems like a
> win-win to get a lighter ball. Thanks for the input!
>
> T
>
> You could also buy another ball that would work on the slower ball speed
> or
> dryer conditions of game three. Many people have several balls for
> different
> conditions but are all the same weight and fit. Or do both... go to a
> lighter ball and then after a while get another ball of that weight that
> would work on dryer conditions.
> Dar- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

That could be the ticket. I've pretty much ALWAYS been able to hook
as much as I want. So - I welcome heavily oiled lanes, as I can just
find a spot to the outside and still get back to the pocket, and I
seem to have a lot of room out there. Even once they start to break
down, I have room. When the lanes START OUT dry I struggle a bit
more, and that's where a lighter and/or less aggressive ball would
work. I've averaged around a 200+ and that's using one and only one
ball for all lanes and all conditions. I do keep a plastic ball for
spares in case I encounter bone dry lanes. I'm not looking to be a
pro or spend hundreds on equipment. But I know with better equipment
I could improve.

T




 
Date: 29 Nov 2008 16:09:12
From: PromptJock
Subject: Re: What's better: a 16 lb ball or a 14-15 with more SPEED?
>Thanks for the input!

You're welcome. That's what I, and the rest of the "gurus", are here
for... :)


 
Date: 29 Nov 2008 08:04:13
From:
Subject: Re: What's better: a 16 lb ball or a 14-15 with more SPEED?
On 29, 11:02=A0am, Twp1...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 29, 1:25=A0am, PromptJock <102151.3...@compuserve.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > > Is there a 'consensus' on that? =A0I've bowled with a 16 lb for many
> > > years, but have tendonitis in the elbow and wrist pretty bad. =A0I th=
ink
> > > dropping to a 14-15 would help. =A0I think I'd gain some more control
> > > and speed, and be able to handle dry conditions better. =A0I have NEV=
ER
> > > had a problem getting the ball to hook. =A0I can hook on ice!
>
> > > But, would losing the pound or two make a bigger difference than my
> > > ability to perhaps be more accurate and hit the pocket at a better
> > > angle? =A0I feel like the 16 lb ball is a bit 'sluggish' by the 3rd o=
r
> > > 4th game, if you know what I mean.
>
> > A Lighter Ball can definitely keep someone who can't heft a larger
> > ball bowling.
>
> > HOWEVER, don't be fooled into thinking you need "more speed, etc." - a
> > "howitzer" ball will more than likely deliver more SPLITS than
> > strikes.
>
> > In Reality, you still need to maintain ACCURACY AND SPEED CONTROL,
> > even with 12-14 lb. balls. =A0In fact, what you "lose" in the "hitting
> > power" of a heavier ball (i.e., "freight train" vs. "station wagon")
> > can be replaced with FINESSE (i.e., better targeting, entry angles,
> > speed control), and that's where one finds their skills (and
> > averages!) will increase. =A0IOW, become a BETTER AND MORE ACCURATE
> > BOWLER, and you'll find yourself stringing strikes where the "power,
> > etc." bowler with The Bigger Balls struggles with leaving corner pins,
> > splits and washouts.
>
> > > I sort of wonder this when I see the women bowling. =A0The one girl (=
her
> > > name escapes me but she is the real POWER bowler) seems to hit
> > > wayyyyyyyyyyy more devastating than the others. =A0I don't know what
> > > weights they are using, but if she's throwing a 14 lb ball like that,
> > > is it more vicious than a 16 pound thrown with less "oomph" on it?
>
> > If you're referring to MICHELLE FELDMAN, she certainly is the only
> > "power bowler" in the Professional Women's Group. =A0However, it's
> > because of her "power" that she often times has trouble "producing"
> > wins with her 16 lb. gear. =A0Ditto with the male "power players" at
> > times.
>
> > In General, a heavier ball, delivered at the same speed as a lighter
> > ball, WILL INDEED have more "oomph!" =A0However, that "oomph!" carries
> > with it the spectre of the aforementioned single pin/split/washout
> > woes compared to the lighter balls. =A0Conversely, the lighter balls
> > require GREATER "PRECISION" in targeting/speed/entry angle to
> > "produce".
>
> > With that typed, I read last year that many PRO MEN are using 14 lb.
> > balls. =A0Couple the lighter weight with their "trained precision", and
> > you can see why they're Pros. :)
>
> > Does this help any?
>
> It does. I know to an extent it's "to each his own". =A0My ideal ball
> speed is 17-18 mph. =A0With a 16 lb ball I feel like I can maintain that
> for 1 or 2 games, then tendonitis kicks in. =A0Then I'm either
> struggling to keep up my speed, and battling control issues as a
> combination of that and the tendonitis. =A0For me a 14-15 lb ball would
> prolly help me stay within the proper range of speed for 3 games, and
> lessen some of the strain on my elbow in combination with a support
> wrap or brace of some sort. =A0So - I think the lighter ball would be
> the way to go to 'maintain' what I'm trying to do for 3 games and put
> less wear and tear on the wrist and elbow.
>
> That all seems to be consistent with what you say. =A0I'm not trying to
> throw 25 mph either. =A0But if I get below 17 (as I tend to do after 2
> or 3 games) then I've got to play such a big hook it's hard to
> control. =A0Trying to straighten out the ball sometimes works, but would
> prolly work better with a little less weight to control. =A0Seems like a
> win-win to get a lighter ball. =A0Thanks for the input!
>
> T- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

And to prove your point with the "Howitzer" and splits... I think of
Bill O'neill. He has left a LOT of ten pins the last 3 weeks. Some
can be chalked up to bad breaks, but 3 or 4 in a game to me signifies
'something'. By the same token, Mike Machuga was playing a much less
aggressive line against him (and all day), and I didn't see him leave
one ten pin in 4 games, nor did he get any bad breaks really. So the
control definitely can defeat the power any day of the week!

T


 
Date: 29 Nov 2008 08:02:00
From:
Subject: Re: What's better: a 16 lb ball or a 14-15 with more SPEED?
On 29, 1:25=A0am, PromptJock <102151.3...@compuserve.com > wrote:
> > Is there a 'consensus' on that? =A0I've bowled with a 16 lb for many
> > years, but have tendonitis in the elbow and wrist pretty bad. =A0I thin=
k
> > dropping to a 14-15 would help. =A0I think I'd gain some more control
> > and speed, and be able to handle dry conditions better. =A0I have NEVER
> > had a problem getting the ball to hook. =A0I can hook on ice!
>
> > But, would losing the pound or two make a bigger difference than my
> > ability to perhaps be more accurate and hit the pocket at a better
> > angle? =A0I feel like the 16 lb ball is a bit 'sluggish' by the 3rd or
> > 4th game, if you know what I mean.
>
> A Lighter Ball can definitely keep someone who can't heft a larger
> ball bowling.
>
> HOWEVER, don't be fooled into thinking you need "more speed, etc." - a
> "howitzer" ball will more than likely deliver more SPLITS than
> strikes.
>
> In Reality, you still need to maintain ACCURACY AND SPEED CONTROL,
> even with 12-14 lb. balls. =A0In fact, what you "lose" in the "hitting
> power" of a heavier ball (i.e., "freight train" vs. "station wagon")
> can be replaced with FINESSE (i.e., better targeting, entry angles,
> speed control), and that's where one finds their skills (and
> averages!) will increase. =A0IOW, become a BETTER AND MORE ACCURATE
> BOWLER, and you'll find yourself stringing strikes where the "power,
> etc." bowler with The Bigger Balls struggles with leaving corner pins,
> splits and washouts.
>
> > I sort of wonder this when I see the women bowling. =A0The one girl (he=
r
> > name escapes me but she is the real POWER bowler) seems to hit
> > wayyyyyyyyyyy more devastating than the others. =A0I don't know what
> > weights they are using, but if she's throwing a 14 lb ball like that,
> > is it more vicious than a 16 pound thrown with less "oomph" on it?
>
> If you're referring to MICHELLE FELDMAN, she certainly is the only
> "power bowler" in the Professional Women's Group. =A0However, it's
> because of her "power" that she often times has trouble "producing"
> wins with her 16 lb. gear. =A0Ditto with the male "power players" at
> times.
>
> In General, a heavier ball, delivered at the same speed as a lighter
> ball, WILL INDEED have more "oomph!" =A0However, that "oomph!" carries
> with it the spectre of the aforementioned single pin/split/washout
> woes compared to the lighter balls. =A0Conversely, the lighter balls
> require GREATER "PRECISION" in targeting/speed/entry angle to
> "produce".
>
> With that typed, I read last year that many PRO MEN are using 14 lb.
> balls. =A0Couple the lighter weight with their "trained precision", and
> you can see why they're Pros. :)
>
> Does this help any?

It does. I know to an extent it's "to each his own". My ideal ball
speed is 17-18 mph. With a 16 lb ball I feel like I can maintain that
for 1 or 2 games, then tendonitis kicks in. Then I'm either
struggling to keep up my speed, and battling control issues as a
combination of that and the tendonitis. For me a 14-15 lb ball would
prolly help me stay within the proper range of speed for 3 games, and
lessen some of the strain on my elbow in combination with a support
wrap or brace of some sort. So - I think the lighter ball would be
the way to go to 'maintain' what I'm trying to do for 3 games and put
less wear and tear on the wrist and elbow.

That all seems to be consistent with what you say. I'm not trying to
throw 25 mph either. But if I get below 17 (as I tend to do after 2
or 3 games) then I've got to play such a big hook it's hard to
control. Trying to straighten out the ball sometimes works, but would
prolly work better with a little less weight to control. Seems like a
win-win to get a lighter ball. Thanks for the input!

T


  
Date: 29 Nov 2008 21:00:05
From: Darlene Block
Subject: Re: What's better: a 16 lb ball or a 14-15 with more SPEED?

<Twp1976@gmail.com > wrote wrote:
> > Is there a 'consensus' on that? I've bowled with a 16 lb for many
> > years, but have tendonitis in the elbow and wrist pretty bad. I think
> > dropping to a 14-15 would help. I think I'd gain some more control
> > and speed, and be able to handle dry conditions better. I have NEVER
> > had a problem getting the ball to hook. I can hook on ice!
>
> > But, would losing the pound or two make a bigger difference than my
> > ability to perhaps be more accurate and hit the pocket at a better
> > angle? I feel like the 16 lb ball is a bit 'sluggish' by the 3rd or
> > 4th game, if you know what I mean.
>
> A Lighter Ball can definitely keep someone who can't heft a larger
> ball bowling.
>
> HOWEVER, don't be fooled into thinking you need "more speed, etc." - a
> "howitzer" ball will more than likely deliver more SPLITS than
> strikes.
>
> In Reality, you still need to maintain ACCURACY AND SPEED CONTROL,
> even with 12-14 lb. balls. In fact, what you "lose" in the "hitting
> power" of a heavier ball (i.e., "freight train" vs. "station wagon")
> can be replaced with FINESSE (i.e., better targeting, entry angles,
> speed control), and that's where one finds their skills (and
> averages!) will increase. IOW, become a BETTER AND MORE ACCURATE
> BOWLER, and you'll find yourself stringing strikes where the "power,
> etc." bowler with The Bigger Balls struggles with leaving corner pins,
> splits and washouts.
>
> > I sort of wonder this when I see the women bowling. The one girl (her
> > name escapes me but she is the real POWER bowler) seems to hit
> > wayyyyyyyyyyy more devastating than the others. I don't know what
> > weights they are using, but if she's throwing a 14 lb ball like that,
> > is it more vicious than a 16 pound thrown with less "oomph" on it?
>
> If you're referring to MICHELLE FELDMAN, she certainly is the only
> "power bowler" in the Professional Women's Group. However, it's
> because of her "power" that she often times has trouble "producing"
> wins with her 16 lb. gear. Ditto with the male "power players" at
> times.
>
> In General, a heavier ball, delivered at the same speed as a lighter
> ball, WILL INDEED have more "oomph!" However, that "oomph!" carries
> with it the spectre of the aforementioned single pin/split/washout
> woes compared to the lighter balls. Conversely, the lighter balls
> require GREATER "PRECISION" in targeting/speed/entry angle to
> "produce".
>
> With that typed, I read last year that many PRO MEN are using 14 lb.
> balls. Couple the lighter weight with their "trained precision", and
> you can see why they're Pros. :)
>
> Does this help any?

It does. I know to an extent it's "to each his own". My ideal ball
speed is 17-18 mph. With a 16 lb ball I feel like I can maintain that
for 1 or 2 games, then tendonitis kicks in. Then I'm either
struggling to keep up my speed, and battling control issues as a
combination of that and the tendonitis. For me a 14-15 lb ball would
prolly help me stay within the proper range of speed for 3 games, and
lessen some of the strain on my elbow in combination with a support
wrap or brace of some sort. So - I think the lighter ball would be
the way to go to 'maintain' what I'm trying to do for 3 games and put
less wear and tear on the wrist and elbow.

That all seems to be consistent with what you say. I'm not trying to
throw 25 mph either. But if I get below 17 (as I tend to do after 2
or 3 games) then I've got to play such a big hook it's hard to
control. Trying to straighten out the ball sometimes works, but would
prolly work better with a little less weight to control. Seems like a
win-win to get a lighter ball. Thanks for the input!

T

You could also buy another ball that would work on the slower ball speed or
dryer conditions of game three. Many people have several balls for different
conditions but are all the same weight and fit. Or do both... go to a
lighter ball and then after a while get another ball of that weight that
would work on dryer conditions.
Dar




 
Date: 28 Nov 2008 22:25:27
From: PromptJock
Subject: Re: What's better: a 16 lb ball or a 14-15 with more SPEED?
> Is there a 'consensus' on that? =A0I've bowled with a 16 lb for many
> years, but have tendonitis in the elbow and wrist pretty bad. =A0I think
> dropping to a 14-15 would help. =A0I think I'd gain some more control
> and speed, and be able to handle dry conditions better. =A0I have NEVER
> had a problem getting the ball to hook. =A0I can hook on ice!
>
> But, would losing the pound or two make a bigger difference than my
> ability to perhaps be more accurate and hit the pocket at a better
> angle? =A0I feel like the 16 lb ball is a bit 'sluggish' by the 3rd or
> 4th game, if you know what I mean.

A Lighter Ball can definitely keep someone who can't heft a larger
ball bowling.

HOWEVER, don't be fooled into thinking you need "more speed, etc." - a
"howitzer" ball will more than likely deliver more SPLITS than
strikes.

In Reality, you still need to maintain ACCURACY AND SPEED CONTROL,
even with 12-14 lb. balls. In fact, what you "lose" in the "hitting
power" of a heavier ball (i.e., "freight train" vs. "station wagon")
can be replaced with FINESSE (i.e., better targeting, entry angles,
speed control), and that's where one finds their skills (and
averages!) will increase. IOW, become a BETTER AND MORE ACCURATE
BOWLER, and you'll find yourself stringing strikes where the "power,
etc." bowler with The Bigger Balls struggles with leaving corner pins,
splits and washouts.

> I sort of wonder this when I see the women bowling. =A0The one girl (her
> name escapes me but she is the real POWER bowler) seems to hit
> wayyyyyyyyyyy more devastating than the others. =A0I don't know what
> weights they are using, but if she's throwing a 14 lb ball like that,
> is it more vicious than a 16 pound thrown with less "oomph" on it?

If you're referring to MICHELLE FELDMAN, she certainly is the only
"power bowler" in the Professional Women's Group. However, it's
because of her "power" that she often times has trouble "producing"
wins with her 16 lb. gear. Ditto with the male "power players" at
times.

In General, a heavier ball, delivered at the same speed as a lighter
ball, WILL INDEED have more "oomph!" However, that "oomph!" carries
with it the spectre of the aforementioned single pin/split/washout
woes compared to the lighter balls. Conversely, the lighter balls
require GREATER "PRECISION" in targeting/speed/entry angle to
"produce".

With that typed, I read last year that many PRO MEN are using 14 lb.
balls. Couple the lighter weight with their "trained precision", and
you can see why they're Pros. :)

Does this help any?