bowling-forum.net
The bowlers choice for bowling chat.

Main
Date: 25 Feb 2008 18:46:28
From: PromptJock
Subject: It's a Duuuuuuuuuuuuuke World!
Congrats to Norm Duke for winning the Denny's World Cup. Considering
he was "running on nothing" because of the cold/flu he had, it was
quite the achievement! I sure hope he's able to recover this week so
he's got a "full tank" for his next competition.

As for the other finalists, here's my observations:

* G'day Mate from Down Under: Andrew Frawley was an ABSOLUTE JOY to
watch! because he was having such a good time in the semi you didn't
care that his two gaffes cost him the match with Shafer. Because he's
a Coach (working in Dubai), you could see himself "critiquing, etc."
every shot he made (especially the "gaffe" shots). I know this
experience will stay with him for the rest of his life AND I know he's
picked-up a lot of "tips and such" to pass on to his "students".
Plus, the $11,500 (American) he won will "fit nicely" in his bank
account. IMHO, we might see that wonderful bloke again in the future!

* WRW: to see him "deflate" two weeks in a row was sad to watch. I
sure hope there's nothing bad going on in his non-tour life - I want
to see him win a couple more titles before this season ends.

* Ryan Shafer: even though "The Bulldog" almost lost his first match,
it seemed like he "lost his teeth" against The Duuuuuuuuke.
Otherwise, it was good seeing him on TV again and I do hope he breaks
out of the "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" grip that has a hold
of him now.

Anyhoo, I hope y'all have a good week and let's see what happens next
Sunday @ the Don Johnson Buckeye Classic in Ohio....




 
Date: 01 Apr 2008 11:24:11
From: Dan the Man
Subject: Re: It's a Duuuuuuuuuuuuuke World!
On Mar 31, 8:16=A0pm, PromptJock <102151.3...@compuserve.com > wrote:
> If anyone hasn't seen the ESPN rebroadcast, or viewed your videotape
> recording, of the US Open from yesterday, then I take no
> responsibility for any "mental anguish, etc." from the reader of this
> message...
>
> Ain't the Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke the greatest? Congrats to him on on
> mowing down the opposition (from the #3 seed position) and winning the
> US Open. =A0I know he'll cherish that cup for A LONG TIME!!!

That was a bit like watching Dale Earnhardt, Sr get his first Daytona
500; the US Open was the only hole in his resume' until now.


>
> My thoughts on the other finalists:
>
> * Doug Kent: I feel for the guy! many decent pocket hits, but either
> no carry or ugly spare leaves. =A0Maybe he was using the wrong ball for
> the condition? anyhoo, I certainly hope he does better next season.

Kent's ball did seem slightly twitchy. But his few misses were made
more obvious by Duuuuuuuuke's excellent performance.

> * Chris Loschetter: now THAT was a bowling match! if it wasn't for the
> couple of ugly spare leaves, he could've defeated Norm. =A0It was also
> interesting how well he got a "bendy ball" to work on that tough oil
> condition. =A0My best wishes to him next season.
> * "Major" Mika Koiviuniemi: Like Loschetter's match, that was also an
> AWESOME contest! the fact he got that REAL DEEP BALL to make it to the
> pocket (and even CARRY, no less!) is a testament to his talent. =A0Also
> like Loschetter's match - if Norm couldn't've recovered from the
> couple "out of bounds" shots he made, Mika probably would've won.
> Again, my best wishes to Mika and I hope he does better next season.

Considering how well Major Mika plays the straight shot, I was
surprised to see him go so far inside. I guess the outside wasn't
giving him a good "look" in practice.

Dan



 
Date: 31 Mar 2008 18:16:09
From: PromptJock
Subject: Re: It's a Duuuuuuuuuuuuuke World!
If anyone hasn't seen the ESPN rebroadcast, or viewed your videotape
recording, of the US Open from yesterday, then I take no
responsibility for any "mental anguish, etc." from the reader of this
message...


Ain't the Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke the greatest? Congrats to him on on
mowing down the opposition (from the #3 seed position) and winning the
US Open. I know he'll cherish that cup for A LONG TIME!!!

My thoughts on the other finalists:

* Doug Kent: I feel for the guy! many decent pocket hits, but either
no carry or ugly spare leaves. Maybe he was using the wrong ball for
the condition? anyhoo, I certainly hope he does better next season.
* Chris Loschetter: now THAT was a bowling match! if it wasn't for the
couple of ugly spare leaves, he could've defeated Norm. It was also
interesting how well he got a "bendy ball" to work on that tough oil
condition. My best wishes to him next season.
* "Major" Mika Koiviuniemi: Like Loschetter's match, that was also an
AWESOME contest! the fact he got that REAL DEEP BALL to make it to the
pocket (and even CARRY, no less!) is a testament to his talent. Also
like Loschetter's match - if Norm couldn't've recovered from the
couple "out of bounds" shots he made, Mika probably would've won.
Again, my best wishes to Mika and I hope he does better next season.


 
Date: 26 Feb 2008 09:32:22
From: Dan the Man
Subject: Re: It's a Duuuuuuuuuuuuuke World!
On Feb 25, 9:46=A0pm, PromptJock <102151.3...@compuserve.com > wrote:
> Congrats to Norm Duke for winning the Denny's World Cup. =A0Considering
> he was "running on nothing" because of the cold/flu he had, it was
> quite the achievement! =A0I sure hope he's able to recover this week so
> he's got a "full tank" for his next competition.

It's always fun to see him because he wears his heart on his sleeve.
His legion of Duuuuuuuuuukies was obviously thrilled.

>
> As for the other finalists, here's my observations:
>
> * G'day Mate from Down Under: Andrew Frawley was an ABSOLUTE JOY to
> watch! because he was having such a good time in the semi you didn't
> care that his two gaffes cost him the match with Shafer. =A0Because he's
> a Coach (working in Dubai), you could see himself "critiquing, etc."
> every shot he made (especially the "gaffe" shots). =A0I know this
> experience will stay with him for the rest of his life AND I know he's
> picked-up a lot of "tips and such" to pass on to his "students".
> Plus, the $11,500 (American) he won will "fit nicely" in his bank
> account. =A0IMHO, we might see that wonderful bloke again in the future!

Frawley looked like he knew he was the longshot, especially on those
low-scoring conditions. It was clear that he was having a blast just
being there.

>
> * WRW: to see him "deflate" two weeks in a row was sad to watch. =A0I
> sure hope there's nothing bad going on in his non-tour life - I want
> to see him win a couple more titles before this season ends.

Very good point; I wonder if he and Paige are having issues? Let's get
the NY Times on the case!
But seriously, maybe the wrist is giving him more trouble than he is
letting on.

>
> * Ryan Shafer: even though "The Bulldog" almost lost his first match,
> it seemed like he "lost his teeth" against The Duuuuuuuuke.
> Otherwise, it was good seeing him on TV again and I do hope he breaks
> out of the "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" grip that has a hold
> of him now.

With his "muscle" delivery, I was surprised he was one of the
finalists at all. Accuracy is usually the way to go on that oil
pattern. He did come closest of all the bowlers to a Hambone, though.

>
> Anyhoo, I hope y'all have a good week and let's see what happens next
> Sunday @ the Don Johnson Buckeye Classic in Ohio....