bowling-forum.net
The bowlers choice for bowling chat.

Main
Date: 07 Apr 2007 14:00:43
From: Shawn Robertson
Subject: I suck at bowling
I play golf and I used to play tennis and I am fairily competitive at
both, but I find bowling to be much harder than those other sports. I am
just no good at it. I guess the only way I am going to get better is to
take lessons.





 
Date: 07 Apr 2007 17:07:18
From: Shawn Robertson
Subject: Re: I suck at bowling
I never had to take lessons for golf or tennis, so why is the mechanics
for bowling so difficult for me. I can't get in to any type of rhythm,
every roll seems different. I try to do the same thing every time but
the results are allways different. I have never been so frustrated in my
life.



  
Date: 19 Apr 2007 19:50:01
From: G
Subject: Re: I suck at bowling

"Shawn Robertson" <spr27@webtv.net > wrote in message
news:12028-46183236-198@storefull-3311.bay.webtv.net...
>I never had to take lessons for golf or tennis, so why is the mechanics
> for bowling so difficult for me. I can't get in to any type of rhythm,
> every roll seems different. I try to do the same thing every time but
> the results are allways different. I have never been so frustrated in my
> life.
>

Bowling is a lot like golf, I also play golf and the concept is basically
the same. A relaxed grip and smooth release is essential as well as
concentration on your target. The lane oil is a lot like the wind, you have
to know where the oil is in relation to where your target is for the best
reaction. Lesson for your mechanics would be a good idea.

G




  
Date: 08 Apr 2007 00:43:16
From: newsreader
Subject: Re: I suck at bowling
Shawn Robertson wrote:
> I never had to take lessons for golf or tennis, so why is the mechanics
> for bowling so difficult for me. I can't get in to any type of rhythm,
> every roll seems different. I try to do the same thing every time but
> the results are allways different. I have never been so frustrated in my
> life.
>
(good) bowling is counter-intuitive IMV. Get some beginners lessons to
proceed quicker - from a recognised qualified instructor.
If you stick with it there is plenty of fun to be had and to and get to
the higher levels there is plenty to learn. Good for mind and body !
If you achieved a fair level in golf and tennis then you have
co-ordination etc. Probably failing through flailing I guess.
Sounds like you are muscling - the pins fall over after you have bowled
not while you have the ball in your hand so don't 'try to knock the pins
over".
Walk up the approach, keeping your hard over your feet and free that arm
swing. Don't 'work' your muscles.
See a qualified instructor. A very famous one is prone to say "balance
is everything in bowling" . .


   
Date: 08 Apr 2007 05:00:13
From: 6ballman
Subject: Re: I suck at bowling
newsreader wrote:
> Shawn Robertson wrote:
>> I never had to take lessons for golf or tennis, so why is the mechanics
>> for bowling so difficult for me. I can't get in to any type of rhythm,
>> every roll seems different. I try to do the same thing every time but
>> the results are allways different. I have never been so frustrated in my
>> life.
> (good) bowling is counter-intuitive IMV. Get some beginners lessons to
> proceed quicker - from a recognised qualified instructor.
> If you stick with it there is plenty of fun to be had and to and get
> to the higher levels there is plenty to learn. Good for mind and body !
> If you achieved a fair level in golf and tennis then you have
> co-ordination etc. Probably failing through flailing I guess.
> Sounds like you are muscling - the pins fall over after you have
> bowled not while you have the ball in your hand so don't 'try to knock
> the pins over".
> Walk up the approach, keeping your hard over your feet and free that
> arm swing. Don't 'work' your muscles.
> See a qualified instructor. A very famous one is prone to say "balance
> is everything in bowling" . .

In addition: An instructor at ANY sport has something you don't. A pair
of eyes that SEES what you do. Professionals in bowling (and yes, golf,
tennis, and pretty much any sport you can name) rely on qualified
coaches to help them tune their game. If the best at their craft rely on
coaches, it is a safe bet that us amateurs can use some coaching as
well. The usbc website lists certified coaches ...

http://www.bowl.com/coaching/

then click on "search for a coach to improve your game"

Perhaps there is one in your area.


--
"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours."
Richard Bach, Illusions The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah


    
Date: 08 Apr 2007 14:21:20
From: newsreader
Subject: Re: I suck at bowling
6ballman wrote:
> In addition: An instructor at ANY sport has something you don't. A pair
> of eyes that SEES what you do. Professionals in bowling (and yes, golf,
> tennis, and pretty much any sport you can name) rely on qualified
> coaches to help them tune their game. If the best at their craft rely on
> coaches, it is a safe bet that us amateurs can use some coaching as
> well. The usbc website lists certified coaches ...
>
> http://www.bowl.com/coaching/
>
> then click on "search for a coach to improve your game"
>
> Perhaps there is one in your area.
>
>
well said - and very true. I know a few good instructors (and bowlers)
and none of them can fix their own game.
the thing is for the bowler to realise that the instructor on the back
of lane can see stuff that you can't see and that you don't know about.
often a bowler will deny what the evidence of the 'eyes at the back'
see, that is a whole other issue.
e.g a good bowler of thirty years who had developed some strange pace
lengths so I brought the marking tape and got two of us to watch him
bowl and then mark out where his feet were landing (to show his actual
step lengths).
Even though there were two of us doing it after we marked it up he still
(initially) denied that that was what he did on the lane...

A good instructor will not only help you with your physical game, they
will help you with the way you think about the game.
Aye, there's the key.


 
Date: 07 Apr 2007 19:05:53
From: 6ballman
Subject: Re: I suck at bowling
I usually just get schooled by my opponents...

Shawn Robertson wrote:
> I play golf and I used to play tennis and I am fairily competitive at
> both, but I find bowling to be much harder than those other sports. I am
> just no good at it. I guess the only way I am going to get better is to
> take lessons.
>
>

--
"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours."
Richard Bach, Illusions The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah


 
Date: 07 Apr 2007 17:38:55
From: Max
Subject: Re: I suck at bowling
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 14:00:43 -0700, spr27@webtv.net (Shawn Robertson)
graced this newsgroup with:

>I play golf and I used to play tennis and I am fairily competitive at
>both, but I find bowling to be much harder than those other sports. I am
>just no good at it. I guess the only way I am going to get better is to
>take lessons.


what a concept.