bowling-forum.net
The bowlers choice for bowling chat.

Main
Date: 23 Dec 2004 22:10:39
From: JohnLC
Subject: Cleaning your ball
CAn anyone recommend a safe degreaser that I can use that I would find
at Shoprite?

Would a general purpose degreaser work?

I heard of Spray 9 but could not find it there.
-JOhn c.




 
Date: 25 Dec 2004 00:28:48
From: C D
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
Hmm.. my text didnt show up.. darn. Anyway... Marc's super sticky stuff
is great!! Been using it for 2 years now (since i first read about it
on here) and have 7 or 8 teammates and friends using it now. At least I
know what to 'officially' call it. We generally refer to it as the
magic elixir.:)

C D



  
Date: 25 Dec 2004 11:00:35
From: mhood
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
C D wrote:

>Hmm.. my text didnt show up.. darn. Anyway... Marc's super sticky stuff
>is great!! Been using it for 2 years now (since i first read about it
>on here) and have 7 or 8 teammates and friends using it now. At least I
>know what to 'officially' call it. We generally refer to it as the
>magic elixir.:)
>
>C D
>
>
>
I knew I should have bottled the stuff and sold it by the ounce for $20
a pop!!! Oh well, opportunity knocked and I'm deaf from all the loud
rock & roll when I was a kid (seems my mother was right). BTW: the
purists insist on the high octane rubbing alcohol, but I've never had
the nerve to steal me some from a hospital somewhere ;-)

mhood


   
Date: 26 Dec 2004 16:31:48
From: Bowen691jack
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>a pop!!! Oh well, opportunity knocked and I'm deaf from all the loud
>rock & roll when I was a kid (seems my mother was right). BTW: the
>purists insist on the high octane rubbing alcohol, but I've never had
>the nerve to steal me some from a hospital somewhere ;-)


I've got a friend who works in a chemical plant who gives me "industrial
strength" acetone - the store bought acetone is tea compared to this stuff
-- one sniff & you don't need pot, booze etc etc


    
Date: 27 Dec 2004 22:56:00
From: Rob & Kirsty Buckley
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
Bowen691jack wrote:
>
> >a pop!!! Oh well, opportunity knocked and I'm deaf from all the loud
> >rock & roll when I was a kid (seems my mother was right). BTW: the
> >purists insist on the high octane rubbing alcohol, but I've never had
> >the nerve to steal me some from a hospital somewhere ;-)
>
> I've got a friend who works in a chemical plant who gives me "industrial
> strength" acetone - the store bought acetone is tea compared to this stuff
> -- one sniff & you don't need pot, booze etc etc

Industrial strength simply means tech grade, full of all the nasty
impurities like lower aldehydes that must be removed if the stuff is for
public sale. Short term exposure to this sort of stuff can rot your
brain to the extent that you can't even read approved cleaner lists and
make sense of them.

Rob.


     
Date: 27 Dec 2004 16:33:54
From: Bowen691jack
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>From: Rob & Kirsty Buckley the_buckleys@optusnet.com.au
>Date: 12/27/2004 6:56 A.M. Central Standard Time
>Message-id: <41D00660.733@optusnet.com.au>
>
>Bowen691jack wrote:
>>
>> >a pop!!! Oh well, opportunity knocked and I'm deaf from all the loud
>> >rock & roll when I was a kid (seems my mother was right). BTW: the
>> >purists insist on the high octane rubbing alcohol, but I've never had
>> >the nerve to steal me some from a hospital somewhere ;-)
>>
>> I've got a friend who works in a chemical plant who gives me "industrial
>> strength" acetone - the store bought acetone is tea compared to this
>stuff
>> -- one sniff & you don't need pot, booze etc etc
>
>Industrial strength simply means tech grade, full of all the nasty
>impurities like lower aldehydes that must be removed if the stuff is for
>public sale. Short term exposure to this sort of stuff can rot your
>brain to the extent that you can't even read approved cleaner lists and
>make sense of them.
>
>Rob.

Right on Rob - keep a tight lid on it and be well ventilated when you use it

That stuff will clean anything


      
Date: 28 Dec 2004 15:21:25
From: Edward \(300\) DeGraaf
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
I use Ivory soap and water in the bathtub and it cleans all of my balls real
nice. I then take a towel after getting my balls out of the bathtub and dry
my balls real good. I don't want to go anywhere with wet balls.

Edward DeGraaf,
USAB Certified Bronze Level Instructor.
YABA Certified Jr. Olympic Level II Coach.
Latest 300 Game - 09/30/2003.




    
Date: 26 Dec 2004 17:47:16
From: Tony R Smith
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
... which is illegal to use on a ball at any time! Acetone softens the
coverstock and can/will make it softer than the minimum 72 durometer D
at room temperature.

http://www.bowlingmembership.com/PDF/specsmanual_sec3.pdf (see page 5)
http://www.bowl.com/bowl/BowlDotCom/common/static.html?page=bowl_speccert_ballcleaner
(see Solvents and Other Chemicals, Not Acceptable at Any Time)

Someone in ABC needs to permanently revoke Jack Bowen's ABC card... but
they won't do that because they are pussies.

Bowen691jack wrote:
>>a pop!!! Oh well, opportunity knocked and I'm deaf from all the loud
>>rock & roll when I was a kid (seems my mother was right). BTW: the
>>purists insist on the high octane rubbing alcohol, but I've never had
>>the nerve to steal me some from a hospital somewhere ;-)
>
>
>
> I've got a friend who works in a chemical plant who gives me "industrial
> strength" acetone - the store bought acetone is tea compared to this stuff
> -- one sniff & you don't need pot, booze etc etc


     
Date: 26 Dec 2004 20:36:27
From: Bowen691jack
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>... which is illegal to use on a ball at any time! Acetone softens the
>coverstock and can/will make it softer than the minimum 72 durometer D
>at room temperature.

This conversation has been worn out time and time again - acetone is illegal
because soaking a ball for a while will ssoften it - the pro years ago who
first started this - it was called a soaker - ask some of the pro brom the
60s/70s and they will tell you they all started doing it until it was outlawed

And some non-pros still do if the tourney does not check hardness

It is also highly flamable - however you and I and the whole world know that
nearly all pro shops have a bottle or two under the counter - it will clean a
ball in a few seconds on a spinner and not soften the ball

If every body who has used acetone was kicked out of the ABC, or whatevrt it is
in a few days, the member ship would be seriously depleted


      
Date: 26 Dec 2004 21:32:30
From: D K
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
Jack is in my filter over garbage like this, but I get to read some because of the
responses.
Pro shops have valid uses for acetone. For one, acetone is the only solvent that
will dissolve super glue which is used to hold in grips. Speaking of grips, acetone
will also repair one that has been butchered, by an amateur grip installer/remover
like myself.

Bowen691jack wrote:
Tony wrote:

> >... which is illegal to use on a ball at any time! Acetone softens the
> >coverstock and can/will make it softer than the minimum 72 durometer D
> >at room temperature.
>
> This conversation has been worn out time and time again - acetone is illegal
> because soaking a ball for a while will ssoften it - the pro years ago who
> first started this - it was called a soaker - ask some of the pro brom the
> 60s/70s and they will tell you they all started doing it until it was outlawed
>
> And some non-pros still do if the tourney does not check hardness

So if it is nondetected cheating it is ok. I see. Sosa got away with the cork for
a long time so I suppose there are adherents to this style of competition. "If you
ain't cheatin'. you ain't tryin' ", right? Years ago in a league here a guy got
busted with a scotchbrite pad sewn onto his bowling towel. He was incredulous and
insisted he didn't know it was illegal. Uh - huh. Cheating is between you and your
own moral barometer. If you get caught, oh well.....or if you come on a newsgroup
and advocate cheating you will probably get these types of responses

> If every body who has used acetone was kicked out of the ABC, or whatevrt it is
> in a few days, the member ship would be seriously depleted

Who cares. If everyone that cheated was tossed the rest of us would have a fair
chance.
--
dk - nationally ranked "rock, paper, scissors" player




       
Date: 26 Dec 2004 22:18:37
From: Bowen691jack
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>So if it is nondetected cheating it is ok. I see.

Not advocating cheating - just reporting the facts mam


        
Date: 27 Dec 2004 02:46:26
From: D K
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
Do you, or do you not, use acetone to clean the surface of your bowling
ball? A simple yes or no -- ma'am.

Have you ever?


Bowen691jack wrote:

> >So if it is nondetected cheating it is ok. I see.
>
> Not advocating cheating - just reporting the facts mam



         
Date: 27 Dec 2004 16:26:40
From: Bowen691jack
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>
>Do you, or do you not, use acetone to clean the surface of your bowling
>ball? A simple yes or no -- ma'am.
>
>Have you ever

'fraid so


          
Date: 28 Dec 2004 22:04:34
From: D K
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
Well, since my question was not very well thought out, I suppose you are
admitting to using it before it was banned. -my bad.

You sound like an advocate for acetone. Instead of encouraging violation of
the standing rules, if you REALLY believe the stuff harmless, you could
agitate the sanctioning body to relax its rules. 'Course this sort of back
and forth is much more fun, no?
--
dk - nationally ranked "rock, paper, scissors" player


Bowen691jack wrote:

> >
> >Do you, or do you not, use acetone to clean the surface of your bowling
> >ball? A simple yes or no -- ma'am.
> >
> >Have you ever
>
> 'fraid so



           
Date: 29 Dec 2004 14:21:33
From: Bowen691jack
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>ou sound like an advocate for acetone. Instead of encouraging violation of
>the standing rules, if you REALLY believe the stuff harmless, you could
>agitate the sanctioning body to relax its rules. 'Course this sort of back
>and forth is much more fun, no?

Agitate the sanctioning body ????? Those old moss backs haven't made a change
in 50 years - everybody bitches about the eas scoring now-a-days but they
continue to allow more "magic" balls and lane oils

As to acetone nobody is advocating using it for making a "soaker" -- don't have
too with the above mentioned balls - it is still an excellent cleaning agent
and as stated by myself and many more every pro shop has some around


            
Date: 31 Dec 2004 05:01:26
From: NimBill
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>From: bowen691jack@aol.com (Bowen691jack)

>>ou sound like an advocate for acetone. Instead of encouraging violation of
>>the standing rules, if you REALLY believe the stuff harmless, you could
>>agitate the sanctioning body to relax its rules. 'Course this sort of back
>>and forth is much more fun, no?
>
>Agitate the sanctioning body ????? Those old moss backs haven't made a
>change
>in 50 years - everybody bitches about the eas scoring now-a-days but they
>continue to allow more "magic" balls and lane oils
>
>As to acetone nobody is advocating using it for making a "soaker" -- don't
>have
>too with the above mentioned balls - it is still an excellent cleaning
>agent
>and as stated by myself and many more every pro shop has some around
>

Every Pro Shop has some! It is required by law if you use Super Glue as
adhesive and most Pro-Shops do. Is also required to be on hand if you use a
number of other adhesives by federal law.

Acetone is like many other things. It has uses and misuses.










             
Date: 05 Jan 2005 06:04:04
From: ALSPROSHOP
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>From: nimbill

>Every Pro Shop has some! It is required by law if you use Super Glue as
>adhesive and most Pro-Shops do. Is also required to be on hand if you use a
>number of other adhesives by federal law.

Please direct us all to "the law"

Al Whiteman
Executive Director , Portland Bowling Association
www.pbabowling.com
"Time spent bowling is never deducted from one's life span"




              
Date: 19 Jan 2005 03:14:44
From: NimBill
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>From: alsproshop@aol.com (ALSPROSHOP)

>>From: nimbill
>
>>Every Pro Shop has some! It is
>required by law if you use Super Glue as
>>adhesive and most Pro-Shops do. Is also required to be on hand if you use a
>>number of other adhesives by federal law.

>Please direct us all to "the law"
>
>Al Whiteman
>Executive Director , Portland Bowling Association

Wish I could but beeing no longer in that kind of business I just don't have
the documentation in front of me.

When I retired from the US Navy in 1989 I was Chief of Quality Control and
Aviation Safety at Naval Station Roosevelt Roads in Puerto Rico and acetone was
required anywhere a number of adhesives were used in any licensed capacity
because it was the only thing that could save human skin from plastics.

Might have changed in the years since but acetone will remove skin from
plastic. Also works on skin against skin when held by Super Glue.

While rules that I tend to agree with prohibit it's use on bowling balls
Acetone is a substance that is needed in every Pro Shop.

A drop of acetone and inserts just slip right out if not glued by an idiot. 30
seconds later the surface of the ball is ready for new glue and inserts.

30 seconds after that they are ready to bowl!

I think the Law was an OSHA thing.








               
Date: 27 Jan 2005 18:21:30
From: Jack B
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
One area this information is available are MSDS sheets that most businesses
have if they have hazardous chemicals onsite. The reason for this is one of
safety for the general public and for public officials that may need to
visit a business with those kind of chemicals. For instance fire fighters
need to know what chemicals they are trying to control in the case of a
fire. Both the International Fire Code and the International Building Code
have minimal standards regarding the containment of those chemicals. The
MSDS sheets state the hazardous value, antidote requirements, and removal
from skin, eyes, etc. This may be where Bill is referring to Federal
oversight.

Too bad the Feds didn't have these rules in effect 30+ years ago. Many of
the contaminated land sites could have been prevented. Although in today
Federal Government climate the OSHA and other agencies do not have the staff
to deal with all the violators, not to mention the ones that have been
identified. Corporations have not shown the ability nor the will to take
care of the spills and contaminated sites they have left behind.

Anyway, the Navy may have required the acetone just as a matter of
convenience. Disposal of chemicals by the military is another discussion.

Jack B

"NimBill" <nimbill@aol.comtisme > wrote in message
news:20050118221444.12595.00000076@mb-m24.aol.com...
> >From: alsproshop@aol.com (ALSPROSHOP)
>
>>>From: nimbill
>>
>>>Every Pro Shop has some! It is
>>required by law if you use Super Glue as
>>>adhesive and most Pro-Shops do. Is also required to be on hand if you use
>>>a
>>>number of other adhesives by federal law.
>
>>Please direct us all to "the law"
>>
>>Al Whiteman
>>Executive Director , Portland Bowling Association
>
> Wish I could but beeing no longer in that kind of business I just don't
> have
> the documentation in front of me.
>
> When I retired from the US Navy in 1989 I was Chief of Quality Control and
> Aviation Safety at Naval Station Roosevelt Roads in Puerto Rico and
> acetone was
> required anywhere a number of adhesives were used in any licensed capacity
> because it was the only thing that could save human skin from plastics.
>
> Might have changed in the years since but acetone will remove skin from
> plastic. Also works on skin against skin when held by Super Glue.
>
> While rules that I tend to agree with prohibit it's use on bowling balls
> Acetone is a substance that is needed in every Pro Shop.
>
> A drop of acetone and inserts just slip right out if not glued by an
> idiot. 30
> seconds later the surface of the ball is ready for new glue and inserts.
>
> 30 seconds after that they are ready to bowl!
>
> I think the Law was an OSHA thing.
>
>
>
>
>
>




                
Date: 28 Jan 2005 05:01:03
From: NimBill
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>From: "Jack B" elbundo1@comcast.net

>One area this information is available are MSDS sheets that most businesses
>have if they have hazardous chemicals onsite. The reason for this is one of
>safety for the general public and for public officials that may need to
>visit a business with those kind of chemicals. For instance fire fighters
>need to know what chemicals they are trying to control in the case of a
>fire. Both the International Fire Code and the International Building Code
>have minimal standards regarding the containment of those chemicals. The
>MSDS sheets state the hazardous value, antidote requirements, and removal
>from skin, eyes, etc. This may be where Bill is referring to Federal
>oversight.
>
>Too bad the Feds didn't have these rules in effect 30+ years ago. Many of
>the contaminated land sites could have been prevented. Although in today
>Federal Government climate the OSHA and other agencies do not have the staff
>to deal with all the violators, not to mention the ones that have been
>identified. Corporations have not shown the ability nor the will to take
>care of the spills and contaminated sites they have left behind.
>
>Anyway, the Navy may have required the acetone just as a matter of
>convenience. Disposal of chemicals by the military is another discussion.
>
>Jack B
>
>"NimBill" <nimbill@aol.comtisme> wrote in message
>news:20050118221444.12595.00000076@mb-m24.aol.com...
>> >From: alsproshop@aol.com (ALSPROSHOP)
>>
>>>>From: nimbill
>>>
>>>>Every Pro Shop has some! It is
>>>required by law if you use Super Glue as
>>>>adhesive and most Pro-Shops do. Is also required to be on hand if you use
>>>>a
>>>>number of other adhesives by federal law.
>>
>>>Please direct us all to "the law"
>>>
>>>Al Whiteman
>>>Executive Director , Portland Bowling Association
>>
>> Wish I could but beeing no longer in that kind of business I just don't
>> have
>> the documentation in front of me.
>>
>> When I retired from the US Navy in 1989 I was Chief of Quality Control and
>> Aviation Safety at Naval Station Roosevelt Roads in Puerto Rico and
>> acetone was
>> required anywhere a number of adhesives were used in any licensed capacity
>> because it was the only thing that could save human skin from plastics.
>>
>> Might have changed in the years since but acetone will remove skin from
>> plastic. Also works on skin against skin when held by Super Glue.
>>
>> While rules that I tend to agree with prohibit it's use on bowling balls
>> Acetone is a substance that is needed in every Pro Shop.
>>
>> A drop of acetone and inserts just slip right out if not glued by an
>> idiot. 30
>> seconds later the surface of the ball is ready for new glue and inserts.
>>
>> 30 seconds after that they are ready to bowl!
>>
>> I think the Law was an OSHA thing.

MSDS indeed. Public businesses do not have them as prominently posted as the
military does but they do have them available since they are supplied with
every product.

At least they are supposed to have them available.

Actone and some other solvents are required if certain adhesives are used just
as specified fire extinguisher types for different types of businesses.

Have never seen an eyewash station in a Pro-Shop but they should be required
due to the nature of the work.

If you Super Glue your finger to a bowling ball installing inserts I certainly
hope you have acetone on hand to get it free and within reach.








                 
Date: 30 Jan 2005 16:44:23
From: Bowen691jack
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>If you Super Glue your finger to a bowling ball installing inserts I
>certainly
>hope you have acetone on hand to get it free and within reach.



Every pro shop worth it's salt has acetone all over the place -- admit it or
not


                 
Date: 27 Jan 2005 22:34:53
From: Jack B
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
For the past 15 or 20 years (on the West coast as least) most jursdictions
require MSDS sheets provided to the fire departments. However, enforcement
beyond that is where the system fall apart.

You are EXTREMELY right about the eye wash sinks and deluge wash basins. I
used to do remodels for industrial parks to bring them
up to current code standards. This was usually to reduce insurance costs for
operations.

Glue on ....

Jack B

"NimBill" <nimbill@aol.comtisme > wrote in message
news:20050128000103.14147.00000325@mb-m10.aol.com...
> >From: "Jack B" elbundo1@comcast.net
>
>>One area this information is available are MSDS sheets that most
>>businesses
>>have if they have hazardous chemicals onsite. The reason for this is one
>>of
>>safety for the general public and for public officials that may need to
>>visit a business with those kind of chemicals. For instance fire fighters
>>need to know what chemicals they are trying to control in the case of a
>>fire. Both the International Fire Code and the International Building Code
>>have minimal standards regarding the containment of those chemicals. The
>>MSDS sheets state the hazardous value, antidote requirements, and removal
>>from skin, eyes, etc. This may be where Bill is referring to Federal
>>oversight.
>>
>>Too bad the Feds didn't have these rules in effect 30+ years ago. Many of
>>the contaminated land sites could have been prevented. Although in today
>>Federal Government climate the OSHA and other agencies do not have the
>>staff
>>to deal with all the violators, not to mention the ones that have been
>>identified. Corporations have not shown the ability nor the will to take
>>care of the spills and contaminated sites they have left behind.
>>
>>Anyway, the Navy may have required the acetone just as a matter of
>>convenience. Disposal of chemicals by the military is another discussion.
>>
>>Jack B
>>
>>"NimBill" <nimbill@aol.comtisme> wrote in message
>>news:20050118221444.12595.00000076@mb-m24.aol.com...
>>> >From: alsproshop@aol.com (ALSPROSHOP)
>>>
>>>>>From: nimbill
>>>>
>>>>>Every Pro Shop has some! It is
>>>>required by law if you use Super Glue as
>>>>>adhesive and most Pro-Shops do. Is also required to be on hand if you
>>>>>use
>>>>>a
>>>>>number of other adhesives by federal law.
>>>
>>>>Please direct us all to "the law"
>>>>
>>>>Al Whiteman
>>>>Executive Director , Portland Bowling Association
>>>
>>> Wish I could but beeing no longer in that kind of business I just don't
>>> have
>>> the documentation in front of me.
>>>
>>> When I retired from the US Navy in 1989 I was Chief of Quality Control
>>> and
>>> Aviation Safety at Naval Station Roosevelt Roads in Puerto Rico and
>>> acetone was
>>> required anywhere a number of adhesives were used in any licensed
>>> capacity
>>> because it was the only thing that could save human skin from plastics.
>>>
>>> Might have changed in the years since but acetone will remove skin from
>>> plastic. Also works on skin against skin when held by Super Glue.
>>>
>>> While rules that I tend to agree with prohibit it's use on bowling balls
>>> Acetone is a substance that is needed in every Pro Shop.
>>>
>>> A drop of acetone and inserts just slip right out if not glued by an
>>> idiot. 30
>>> seconds later the surface of the ball is ready for new glue and inserts.
>>>
>>> 30 seconds after that they are ready to bowl!
>>>
>>> I think the Law was an OSHA thing.
>
> MSDS indeed. Public businesses do not have them as prominently posted as
> the
> military does but they do have them available since they are supplied with
> every product.
>
> At least they are supposed to have them available.
>
> Actone and some other solvents are required if certain adhesives are used
> just
> as specified fire extinguisher types for different types of businesses.
>
> Have never seen an eyewash station in a Pro-Shop but they should be
> required
> due to the nature of the work.
>
> If you Super Glue your finger to a bowling ball installing inserts I
> certainly
> hope you have acetone on hand to get it free and within reach.
>
>
>
>
>
>




                 
Date:
From:
Subject:


                 
Date:
From:
Subject:


                
Date:
From:
Subject:


               
Date:
From:
Subject:


              
Date:
From:
Subject:


            
Date: 29 Dec 2004 19:53:34
From: D K
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
You two are definitely related <re-plonk >

Bowen691jack wrote:

> >ou sound like an advocate for acetone. Instead of encouraging violation of
> >the standing rules, if you REALLY believe the stuff harmless, you could
> >agitate the sanctioning body to relax its rules. 'Course this sort of back
> >and forth is much more fun, no?
>
> Agitate the sanctioning body ????? Those old moss backs haven't made a change
> in 50 years - everybody bitches about the eas scoring now-a-days but they
> continue to allow more "magic" balls and lane oils
>
> As to acetone nobody is advocating using it for making a "soaker" -- don't have
> too with the above mentioned balls - it is still an excellent cleaning agent
> and as stated by myself and many more every pro shop has some around

--
dk - nationally ranked "rock, paper, scissors" player




           
Date: 29 Dec 2004 04:17:26
From: NimBill
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>From: D K david.kent@rochester.rr.com

>Well, since my question was not very well thought out, I suppose you are
>admitting to using it before it was banned. -my bad.
>
>You sound like an advocate for acetone. Instead of encouraging violation of
>the standing rules, if you REALLY believe the stuff harmless, you could
>agitate the sanctioning body to relax its rules. 'Course this sort of back
>and forth is much more fun, no?
>--
Actually the stuff acetone is not harmless as it actually can alter the
composition of a ball.

In nearly 50 years of bowling I have not visited a Pro Shop that did not have
some.

It is a safety requirement if you use Super Glue to have it on hand.










            
Date: 01 Jan 2005 16:09:07
From: Jack B
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
Yeah it is like the carpenter with only two fingers on one hand ... a
pro-shop operator with two fingers glued together forever!!

I used to use the banned substance until I found out it not allowed. Now I
am reformed. I can walk with my head high know my balls are legal!

Jack B.

"NimBill" <nimbill@aol.comtisme > wrote in message
news:20041228231726.07103.00002368@mb-m10.aol.com...
> >From: D K david.kent@rochester.rr.com
>
>>Well, since my question was not very well thought out, I suppose you are
>>admitting to using it before it was banned. -my bad.
>>
>>You sound like an advocate for acetone. Instead of encouraging violation
>>of
>>the standing rules, if you REALLY believe the stuff harmless, you could
>>agitate the sanctioning body to relax its rules. 'Course this sort of back
>>and forth is much more fun, no?
>>--
> Actually the stuff acetone is not harmless as it actually can alter the
> composition of a ball.
>
> In nearly 50 years of bowling I have not visited a Pro Shop that did not
> have
> some.
>
> It is a safety requirement if you use Super Glue to have it on hand.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>




             
Date: 01 Jan 2005 21:37:19
From: Smokey
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
> I can walk with my head high know my balls are legal!

I'm sure your wife or S.O. is very proud of this information... ;]




              
Date: 02 Jan 2005 08:43:52
From: Jack B
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
You got it!!! LMAO ... nuttin like a good pun ....

Jack B

"Smokey" <102151.3223@compuserve.com > wrote in message
news:cr8140$89d$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...
>> I can walk with my head high know my balls are legal!
>
> I'm sure your wife or S.O. is very proud of this information... ;]
>
>




          
Date: 28 Dec 2004 00:21:43
From: Smokey
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
You know, I was "reamed" a while ago for trying to discuss this subject.
I'd like to posit a thought.

YES, I know acetone (and similar cleaners) are on the "Forever Banned At Any
Time" list of ABC, etc. cleaners. However, I do want to posit this thought:
if someone SHOULD allow a small drop of the Nasty Stuff to contact any of
todays coverstocks, are we to expect a "Genesis Effect" reaction (with
apologies to "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan") where the WHOLE COVERSTOCK
will be "forever changed, etc." from that one drop of Banned Substance?




           
Date: 29 Dec 2004 04:10:59
From: NimBill
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>From: "Smokey" 102151.3223@compuserve.com

>You know, I was "reamed" a while ago for trying to discuss this subject.
>I'd like to posit a thought.

>YES, I know acetone (and similar cleaners) are on the "Forever Banned At Any
>Time" list of ABC, etc. cleaners. However, I do want to posit this thought:
>if someone SHOULD allow a small drop of the Nasty Stuff to contact any of
>todays coverstocks, are we to expect a "Genesis Effect" reaction (with
>apologies to "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan") where the WHOLE COVERSTOCK
>will be "forever changed, etc." from that one drop of Banned Substance?

Tis a matter of science over substance. Science tells us certain chemicals will
do certain things with others while substance like the ABC or PBA say it can't
be done.

Did Barry Bonds do illegal drugs?

I think he did.

Doesn't matter!










           
Date: 28 Dec 2004 15:38:41
From: ALSPROSHOP
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>"Smokey" wrote:


>You know, I was "reamed" a while ago for trying to discuss this subject.
>I'd like to posit a thought.
>
>YES, I know acetone (and similar cleaners) are on the "Forever Banned At Any
>Time" list of ABC, etc. cleaners. However, I do want to posit this thought:
>if someone SHOULD allow a small drop of the Nasty Stuff to contact any of
>todays coverstocks, are we to expect a "Genesis Effect" reaction (with
>apologies to "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan") where the WHOLE COVERSTOCK
>will be "forever changed, etc." from that one drop of Banned Substance?
>
>

No !
Evaporation.


Al Whiteman
Executive Director , Portland Bowling Association
www.pbabowling.com
"Time spent bowling is never deducted from one's life span"




         
Date: 27 Dec 2004 04:44:14
From: NimBill
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>From: D K david.kent@rochester.rr.com

>Do you, or do you not, use acetone to clean the surface of your bowling
>ball? A simple yes or no -- ma'am.
>
>Have you ever?
>

Why yes! I used it to clean the tape glue out of the finger holes and to clean
some crap off the ball left by poorly maintained lanes.

Never during play!










          
Date: 27 Dec 2004 05:40:17
From: Tony R Smith
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
Bill, if you have used acetone, "...to clean some crap off the ball left
by poorly maintained lanes.", then you have admitted to everyone here
that you have violated ABC rules. In my opinion, violating the rules
with full knowledge of what the rules are that you are violating should
result in immediate and permanent removal from sanctioned play.

NimBill wrote:
>>From: D K david.kent@rochester.rr.com
>
>
>>Do you, or do you not, use acetone to clean the surface of your bowling
>>ball? A simple yes or no -- ma'am.
>>
>>Have you ever?
>>
>
>
> Why yes! I used it to clean the tape glue out of the finger holes and to clean
> some crap off the ball left by poorly maintained lanes.
>
> Never during play!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


           
Date: 29 Dec 2004 04:03:09
From: NimBill
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>From: Tony R Smith tonyrsmith@myrealbox.com

>Bill, if you have used acetone, "...to clean some crap off the ball left
>by poorly maintained lanes.", then you have admitted to everyone here
>that you have violated ABC rules. In my opinion, violating the rules
>with full knowledge of what the rules are that you are violating should
>result in immediate and permanent removal from sanctioned play.

Works for me.

Just go and propose it and see if I care!










           
Date: 27 Dec 2004 16:32:29
From: Bowen691jack
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>
>Bill, if you have used acetone, "...to clean some crap off the ball left
>by poorly maintained lanes.", then you have admitted to everyone here
>that you have violated ABC rules. In my opinion, violating the rules
>with full knowledge of what the rules are that you are violating

>should
>result in immediate and permanent removal from sanctioned play.

I guess we will have to start a new association -- maybe AUABC-- Acetone
Users of American Bowlong Congress or what ever their new name is

During our leagues buckets of acetone will be availible for use "on the spot"

By the way Tony have you checked to see if any female ( or male ) ABC members
are using nail polish remover during league play???

Better watch them closely


            
Date: 27 Dec 2004 19:00:19
From: Lisa
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>I guess we will have to start a new association -- maybe AUABC-- Acetone
>Users of American Bowlong Congress or what ever their new name is

USAUBC - United States Acetone Users Bowling Congress ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

*~Lisa~*
Raising kids is like trying to nail Jell-o to a tree.
ICQ #41686252
http://www.mapleleafs.com/


             
Date: 01 Jan 2005 16:04:58
From: Jack B
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
I joined the users group and I'm going through a 12 step program. I fwell
wery wery baaaad.

Jack B LMAO ... ;-))
"Lisa" <eyeshot300@aol.comTimbits > wrote in message
news:20041227140019.06096.00001691@mb-m21.aol.com...
> >I guess we will have to start a new association -- maybe AUABC--
> >Acetone
>>Users of American Bowlong Congress or what ever their new name is
>
> USAUBC - United States Acetone Users Bowling Congress ;)
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist :D
>
> *~Lisa~*
> Raising kids is like trying to nail Jell-o to a tree.
> ICQ #41686252
> http://www.mapleleafs.com/




             
Date: 27 Dec 2004 22:57:14
From: Bowen691jack
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>From: eyeshot300@aol.comTimbits (Lisa)
>Date: 12/27/2004 1:00 P.M. Central Standard Time
>Message-id: <20041227140019.06096.00001691@mb-m21.aol.com>
>
>>I guess we will have to start a new association -- maybe AUABC-- Acetone
>>Users of American Bowlong Congress or what ever their new name is
>
>USAUBC - United States Acetone Users Bowling Congress ;)
>
>Sorry, couldn't resist :D
>
>*~Lisa~*
>Raising kids is like trying to nail Jell-o to a tree.

Sounds good to me


      
Date: 26 Dec 2004 21:28:40
From: ALSPROSHOP
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>(Bowen691jack) wrote:

<snip >


>It is also highly flamable - however you and I and the whole world know that
>nearly all pro shops have a bottle or two under the counter - it will clean
>a
>ball in a few seconds on a spinner and not soften the ball

I always had a can of Acetone in my shop, but for the dual purpose of cleaning
superglue and "blending" the top of finger grips after trimming to the contour
of the ball.
I personally never cleaned a ball with Acetone or allowed anyone to do so in
my shop.

And, we all recall the ball rep recommending cleaning a ball with Acetone a few
years ago. For Tony to suggest your abc card removal is _______
(fill in blanks to suit yourself)
Al Whiteman
Executive Director , Portland Bowling Association
www.pbabowling.com
"Time spent bowling is never deducted from one's life span"




 
Date: 24 Dec 2004 16:58:10
From: Smokey
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
> CAn anyone recommend a safe degreaser that I can use that I would find
> at Shoprite?

Windex with "Ammonia-D" works great at cleaning bowling balls. It's also
"ABC Approved" for use DURING sanctioned competition. :)

> Would a general purpose degreaser work?

Yes. Formula "409" is one of the best cleaners. Just DO NOT use it during
SANCTIONED competition - it isn't ABC Approved"...




 
Date: 24 Dec 2004 13:37:51
From: C D
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball

mhood wrote:
> JohnLC wrote:
>
> > CAn anyone recommend a safe degreaser that I can use that I would
find
> > at Shoprite?
> >
> > Would a general purpose degreaser work?
> >
> > I heard of Spray 9 but could not find it there.
> > -JOhn c.
>
> Here's the formula for Marc Hood's Super Sticky Strike Goo... 50%
Simple
> Green + 50% rubbing alcohol. Fix you up real good, Joe :-)
>
> mhood



 
Date: 23 Dec 2004 16:52:07
From: mhood
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
JohnLC wrote:

> CAn anyone recommend a safe degreaser that I can use that I would find
> at Shoprite?
>
> Would a general purpose degreaser work?
>
> I heard of Spray 9 but could not find it there.
> -JOhn c.

Here's the formula for Marc Hood's Super Sticky Strike Goo... 50% Simple
Green + 50% rubbing alcohol. Fix you up real good, Joe :-)

mhood


  
Date: 14 Jan 2005 19:04:33
From: Jack B
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
I tried your 50 - 50 mixture. So far I have just done it by hand. It does
not seem to take off the lane bugers. I am going to try it with my ball
spinner and see what happens. Thanks for the info!

Jack B

"mhood" <mhood@adently.com > wrote in message
news:10smj22q6m3sr26@news.supernews.com...
> JohnLC wrote:
>
>> CAn anyone recommend a safe degreaser that I can use that I would find at
>> Shoprite?
>>
>> Would a general purpose degreaser work?
>>
>> I heard of Spray 9 but could not find it there.
>> -JOhn c.
>
> Here's the formula for Marc Hood's Super Sticky Strike Goo... 50% Simple
> Green + 50% rubbing alcohol. Fix you up real good, Joe :-)
>
> mhood




  
Date: 12 Jan 2005 21:00:16
From: Jack B
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
does this solution clean surface scum? do you use it to remove oil as well?
there is a thread regarding baking and dishwashering balls. it sounds like
that can be an ify process. one other thing .. do you use the solution on a
ball spinner? I use denatured acohol and rubbing compound typically to clean
my equipment. I also scuff brite some of my particle equipment. It along
with the acohol appears to bring the surface back.

Thanks,

Jack B

"mhood" <mhood@adently.com > wrote in message
news:10smj22q6m3sr26@news.supernews.com...
> JohnLC wrote:
>
>> CAn anyone recommend a safe degreaser that I can use that I would find at
>> Shoprite?
>>
>> Would a general purpose degreaser work?
>>
>> I heard of Spray 9 but could not find it there.
>> -JOhn c.
>
> Here's the formula for Marc Hood's Super Sticky Strike Goo... 50% Simple
> Green + 50% rubbing alcohol. Fix you up real good, Joe :-)
>
> mhood




   
Date: 04 Feb 2005 06:10:09
From: NimBill
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
>From: "Jack B" elbundo1@comcast.net

>does this solution clean surface scum? do you use it to remove oil as well?

??? >there is a thread regarding baking and dishwashering balls. it sounds like
>that can be an ify process. one other thing ..

There was years ago. It was quite iteresting and revealing.

>do you use the solution on a
>ball spinner? I use denatured acohol and rubbing compound typically to clean
>my equipment. I also scuff brite some of my particle equipment. It along
>with the acohol appears to bring the surface back.

No reason not to if you have one and I do.










   
Date: 13 Jan 2005 00:22:22
From: Smokey
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
> does this solution clean surface scum? do you use it to remove oil as
well?
> there is a thread regarding baking and dishwashering balls. it sounds like
> that can be an ify process. one other thing .. do you use the solution on
a
> ball spinner? I use denatured acohol and rubbing compound typically to
clean
> my equipment. I also scuff brite some of my particle equipment. It along
> with the acohol appears to bring the surface back.

Any "surfactant" type cleaner (i.e. Windex, "409") will clean the "surface
scum" that you mention. To get the oil that's actually been ABSORBED by the
coverstock, you have to "rejuvenate" it (i.e. bake it or soak it in hot and
soapy water then wipe off the "oil film").

If the cover has developed a "track", it needs some sort of resurfacing
(sanding, etc.) to remove that track.

Yes, you can use the cleaner on a spinner - just make sure the spinner has a
SPLASH HOOD (or similar), or you'll get as wet as the ball!

Denatured alky is a NO-NO per ABC rules, just like acetone. Use 90%+
isopropyl instead! This ABC web link will give you the info:
http://www.bowl.com/bowl/BowlDotCom/common/static.html?page=bowl_speccert_ballcleaner

Using a Scotch Brite (or similar) pad on your ball is OK ** ONLY IF ** you
use it BEFORE or AFTER (but NEVER ** DURING **) your sanctioned competition
sessions (tournament or league).

Hope this helps. :)




    
Date: 14 Jan 2005 19:17:06
From: Jack B
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
Thanks Smokes! I was not aware of the denatured stuff .. want my balls
legal ytou know!! I tried baking several years ago and had a bad experience
and have not done that again.

I tried the 50 -50 today. Seems to work. A former client of mine has a
solution he has develped that is pretty good. I guess he is getting it
reviewed by the authorities for approval ... time will tell.

I am going to try the 50 -50 on my ball spinner. I bowl in a senior tourny
this week end. See what happens!!!

Jack B

"Smokey" <102151.3223@compuserve.com > wrote in message
news:cs5b2g$5it$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...
>> does this solution clean surface scum? do you use it to remove oil as
> well?
>> there is a thread regarding baking and dishwashering balls. it sounds
>> like
>> that can be an ify process. one other thing .. do you use the solution
>> on
> a
>> ball spinner? I use denatured acohol and rubbing compound typically to
> clean
>> my equipment. I also scuff brite some of my particle equipment. It along
>> with the acohol appears to bring the surface back.
>
> Any "surfactant" type cleaner (i.e. Windex, "409") will clean the "surface
> scum" that you mention. To get the oil that's actually been ABSORBED by
> the
> coverstock, you have to "rejuvenate" it (i.e. bake it or soak it in hot
> and
> soapy water then wipe off the "oil film").
>
> If the cover has developed a "track", it needs some sort of resurfacing
> (sanding, etc.) to remove that track.
>
> Yes, you can use the cleaner on a spinner - just make sure the spinner has
> a
> SPLASH HOOD (or similar), or you'll get as wet as the ball!
>
> Denatured alky is a NO-NO per ABC rules, just like acetone. Use 90%+
> isopropyl instead! This ABC web link will give you the info:
> http://www.bowl.com/bowl/BowlDotCom/common/static.html?page=bowl_speccert_ballcleaner
>
> Using a Scotch Brite (or similar) pad on your ball is OK ** ONLY IF ** you
> use it BEFORE or AFTER (but NEVER ** DURING **) your sanctioned
> competition
> sessions (tournament or league).
>
> Hope this helps. :)
>
>




    
Date:
From:
Subject:


   
Date:
From:
Subject:


  
Date:
From:
Subject:


  
Date:
From:
Subject:


 
Date: 23 Dec 2004 17:43:13
From: Chuck Mularkey
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:10:39 GMT, JohnLC <jcvmf214@earthlink.net >
wrote:

>CAn anyone recommend a safe degreaser that I can use that I would find
>at Shoprite?
>
>Would a general purpose degreaser work?
>
>I heard of Spray 9 but could not find it there.
>-JOhn c.

I found out about this at www.bowlingfans.com in the FAQ section:

Dilute Simple Green with 4 parts water to 1 part Simple Green and it
makes a great and very economical ball cleaner. You can get a gallon
jug of Simple Green at Home Depot, Sams, etc. for about 8 or 9 bucks
and it lasts a long long time. Simple Green is also on the ABC's
acceptable ball cleaners list at:

http://www.bowl.com/bowl/BowlDotCom/common/static.html?page=bowl_speccert_ballcleaner

If you have a sanded finish on your ball, I would recommend using the
diluted Simple Green with a Scotchbrite pad of the appropriate grit to
really do a nice job cleaning your ball.

Chuck


  
Date: 23 Dec 2004 22:32:55
From: Edward \(300\) DeGraaf
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
> Dilute Simple Green with 4 parts water to 1 part Simple Green and it
> makes a great and very economical ball cleaner.

I use Simple Green straight from the spray bottle. It works great!!

Edward DeGraaf,
USAB Certified Bronze Level Instructor.
YABA Certified Jr. Olympic Level II Coach.
Latest 300 Game - 09/30/2003.




  
Date: 24 Dec 2004 02:07:26
From: JohnLC
Subject: Re: Cleaning your ball
How Convienent. I work at Sams club. My ball is Hammer Blade. Can I
still use Simple Green?
-John C

Chuck Mularkey wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:10:39 GMT, JohnLC <jcvmf214@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>
>>CAn anyone recommend a safe degreaser that I can use that I would find
>>at Shoprite?
>>
>>Would a general purpose degreaser work?
>>
>>I heard of Spray 9 but could not find it there.
>>-JOhn c.
>
>
> I found out about this at www.bowlingfans.com in the FAQ section:
>
> Dilute Simple Green with 4 parts water to 1 part Simple Green and it
> makes a great and very economical ball cleaner. You can get a gallon
> jug of Simple Green at Home Depot, Sams, etc. for about 8 or 9 bucks
> and it lasts a long long time. Simple Green is also on the ABC's
> acceptable ball cleaners list at:
>
> http://www.bowl.com/bowl/BowlDotCom/common/static.html?page=bowl_speccert_ballcleaner
>
> If you have a sanded finish on your ball, I would recommend using the
> diluted Simple Green with a Scotchbrite pad of the appropriate grit to
> really do a nice job cleaning your ball.
>
> Chuck